Greatest Carrier-Born Dive Bomber of WW II... (1 Viewer)

Greatest Carrier-Based Dive Bomber of WW II...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

30834.jpg

32167.gif

Haha thanks. I do like the dance on the bottom! The wife got a kick out of it too :lol:

It's the Ju 87E, it didn't ever fly from a carrier but because of that ...you can't say it was bad at it. :lol:

Yup - 1800kg bomb. You don't think the Bismark was able to do that with it's infantile 15" guns do you?

I voted SBD because it had the longest, most successful career out of the WWII carrier dive-bombers. It's performance at Midway was stunning.

I was always under the impression that the secret Pz.Kpfw VII 'Maus' was landed on Iceland and blasted the Hood from the shore. :shock:

I voted the same, for the exact same reasons. Because I'm your stalker... :twisted:

I was always under the impression that the secret Pz.Kpfw VII 'Maus' was landed on Iceland and blasted the Hood from the shore. :shock:

I voted the same, for the exact same reasons. Because I'm your stalker... :twisted:

I told you already that once you got the clap it's done

Aha... my god, my friend got back from Taiwan in January ... and he still can't rid of the clap he got from there... ooh, but that's a completely unrelated story to World War II ...and carrier, bomby thingys...

I would go for the SBD, but was the Helldiver responsible for the most Axis shipping sunk in the Pacific?

Or is that wrong information I have in my head?

Edit: I found something from Warbird Alley.

Warbird Alley: Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

History: The Curtiss Helldiver, despite a reputation for being difficult to handle at low speeds, was responsible for the destruction of more Japanese targets than any other aircraft. The Curtiss SB2C single-engine dive-bomber joined the fleet late in 1943, joining the Douglas Dauntless as the primary attack/bombing planes for the US Navy. The two-man Helldiver had a top speed of 295 mph and good range, making it an essential tool in the far reaches of the Pacific war.

With underwing and bomb attachments, the Helldiver could carry 1,000 pounds of bombs or an internal torpedo; later improvements included an up-rated Wright Cyclone engine and rocket hard-points. It carried two fixed forward 20mm cannon and machine guns in the rear cockpit.

Only 26 of the 7,000 Helldivers built found their way to the other services; the plane was so valuable in the Pacific theater that the Navy absorbed nearly every plane. Postwar, the Helldiver found further use with the French, Italian, Greek and Portuguese Navies and the Royal Thai Air Force. Only one airworthy Helldiver remains -- with the Commemorative Air Force in Texas -- but at least one more is under restoration to airworthy status.

===========================================================
I suppose even if it did sink the most, it still might not be the best aircraft.

Oh I stand corrected PD, I always thought it was Von Ribbentrop on an amphibious Glockenspiel. He attacked disguised as a sea born Eine Keine Naccht Musik recital and launched a devestating armour piercing Bratwurst attack.

SBD is my choice really superb kill tonnage ratio, probably the best of the war.

All these stories about the Hood, the plot thickens. Someone's lying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back