Greatest Fighter Aircraft of All Time

Which is the best

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The 104 had a service ceiling of under 60,000 feet, although modified ones have broke world altitude and speed records. The NF-104 had a rocket motor in the tail, it was supposed to be an "Astronaut Trainer." Here's a BIG photo from Edwards AFB PAO

nf104-1_300.jpg

Here's a great site about the NF-104...

http://www.nf104.com/index.html

In one of my many discussions with Tony LeVier, he once told me the F-104 suffered a similar fate as the P-38 did in Europe. It got a bad rap due to poor pilot transition training, had its mission change several times during it's gestation, and was never operated to its fullest potential. Remember the -104 came from the input of Korean War pilots and their desires in an air-to-air combat aircraft. I've met several Canadian and Marineflieger pilots who loved the -104 and hated to give it up, on the other side I met several pilots who didn't think too highly of it, one of them being Dick Rutan who had some time in it. In his words, "Take off, go real fast, turn, almost stall, land real fast..........

I wasn't slamming your lightning I was suggesting an a/c that should be on the list due to numbers produced , length of service , its ability to remain a viable alternative the fact it was very easy to maintain The bloody thing was at home in any realm it found itself in it was flown by just about any modern western air service and its still sitting on QRA in Italy and easy to work on 50 years after Kelly Johnston spawned it come on its slam dunk to be on that list and the thing "the zipper"still holds recognized records for speed and altitude

No, you were suggesting that the F-104 could climb higher than the Lightning and that it was also faster than the Lightning. Both being untrue , unless you want to count the NF-104 which would be stupid since it wasn't even a fighter. It was the Starfighter with a kick up the ass, no combat use what so ever.

A F.6 Lightning vs. F-104S would provide the best results in combat, and in the interception role the Lightning would prove superior. It could climb faster, accelerate faster, climb higher and was faster all round.

I didnt know that NF-104 was modified so extensively. Therefore, I will agree that the Lightning still holds top honors for cold war era interceptor.

F4 is still a better jet though, just for its versatility. It was "good" enough in most roles to make it the best jet for the years between the end of the Korean War, to the end of the cold war.

It states the service ceiling of the CF-104 being 58,000 feet, and normal operation at 48,500 feet also. I will admit that it's zoom-climb ability is impressive, but that's factory fresh. And the CF-104 that achieved Canada's altitude record was modified.

If I wanted I could state the Lightning can beat the F-15 in a sustained climb to 30,000 feet because a stripped down T.5 Lightning did so. The F.3 Lightning that zoom-climbed to 88,000 feet was fully laden.

I do not believe the F-104 could achieve greater heights, or speeds than the Lightning without modification which would make it incapable of combat.

The F-104 never had a thrust:weight ratio that equalled 1:1 , the Lightning would do at some point in it's climb. The Lightning was actually faster than the F-104 anyway, at Mach 2.3 recorded. Since the real records for the Lightning have yet to be released , the zoom-climb to 88,000 feet is just a story. The official records are yet to be released , and I'm eagerly awaiting them.

Anyone with a bit of sense would realise the Lightning can out-climb and out-pace the F-104. You rely too much on world records without realising that world records open the abilities to the public - think if the SR-71 true records were released !

please I don't want to get in a lightning/ 104 pissing contest but the thing is century series fighter and its its almost outlasting the F4 its got more years of service then any other a/c on that list up top with maybe the exception of the MiG 21 and they probably fly those Kampuchea. I don't have any personal 104 experience other then transit a/c but upon investigating the 104 slowly became impressed and no longer think of the 104 only as the German lawn dart .I wonder what Hartman thought of it

syscom, the British government still hides information from World War II ! The Lightning was reported at 60,000 feet for decades , and the official figures of the Lightning are not it's true ability. There's every reason to keep it a secret - surprise is a great weapon.

The shortest life of a secret in Britain is 25 years from the end of it's importance. The Lightning left service in 1989 ... we have another seven years to wait .

The -104 was never intended as a pure "heavy" interceptor (bomber killer) in the sense of the Lightning - the 104 was supposed to be an air superiority fighter such as the F-86 but with far superior performance. Through the 50s and into the 60s the thing was pushed into roles that it wasn't intended to do - low level Minni nuclear bomber, interceptor, fighter bomber, etc.

I recently met through work a fellow by the name of Kieth Phillips, he's a retired USAF Col. who flew the -104. Keith was an IP at Luke and worked with Luftwaffe folks. He worked with Hartman and never heard Hartman say any bad things to say about the -104 (at least to him) but he did say that he (Hartman) was the best pilot he ever flew with...

Keith had nothing but praise for the -104 and he thought is was the best fighter of its day when flown as an air-to-air fighter....

Aircraft knocked down while others tried to prove were superior to the Lightning in the interceptor role:

F-101
F-106
F-104
F-14 ... Which was a good debate - lots of good information came from that....[/quote]

I wasnt talking about intercept role, you said that the Lightning was the greatest Fighter of the Cold war not interceptor, in which I replied the F-4 is the best all around fighter.

Aircraft knocked down while others tried to prove were superior to the Lightning in the interceptor role:

F-101
F-106
F-104
F-14 ... Which was a good debate - lots of good information came from that....[/quote]

I wasnt talking about intercept role, SYS said that the Lightning was the greatest Fighter of the Cold war not interceptor, in which I replied the F-4 is the best all around fighter.

No problem. We all make mistakes...

102first_hussars said:
F-14 ... Which was a good debate - lots of good information came from that....
[/quote]

Nope the Lightning still has not won that either. While I agree the Lightning was one of the best of all times, and I have allways agreed with that, the F-14 was a more capable interceptor overall than the Lightning was. It had a better weapons package and avionix package and overall performance was great as well.

But the statistics proved that, even with the Phoenix missile, the F-14 would still be beaten to target.

Does not mean that the Lightning was more capable than the F-14. How many targets can the Lightning aquire and engage at one time? How far out can a Lightnings radar aquire its target? Overall the F-14 was more advanced, and more capable.

Am I saying the Lightning was not one of the best? No I think it is one of the best of all times the F-14 is more advanced and more capable.

The Lightning can acquire it's target, and destroy it before the F-14 can. That's been proven , simply enough the Lightning was quick enough to be amongst the enemy before the F-14 had destroyed it's target .

And since the Lightning would be amongst it's enemy, the two missiles and two Adens were open to any target in the area. It's all well and good having fancy avionics , but the Lightning was still intercepting the target further out from base than the F-14 was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back