Greatest Fighter Aircraft of All Time (2 Viewers)

Which is the best

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i think harrier should be changed to sea harrier if possible.........

and i'll proberly vote spitfire..............

Dogwalker said:
Vacuum tubes or not, Mig-25 radar was the most powerful airborne radar of it's time. Among soviets there was the joke that, when the pilot forget to switch it off on landing, it kill the rabbits around the airstrip.

An interesting discussion, don't know how much accurate: http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/MiG-25.html

DogW

That is true, but the stats stand - it did miserable in combat even with evenly matched opponents..

I've seen that site, some good info, some bogus, especially about the Mig-25 being designed to intercept the A-12..

Okay well here is my take on the matter. I really dont think you can compare any of these aircraft to one another. Well some you can like the Spitfire to the Fw-190 and the P-51 which in that case in my opinion would go to the Spitfire very closly followed by the Fw-190 and then the P-51. However it is impossible to compare a P-51 to a F-15 Eagle. No contest and no comparison.

Now as for the Mig-25 I agree it was a fast peace of junk. Nothing more than that also. I tried to find a picture on my external harddrive of a destroyed Mig-25 that was at the Airfield that I was based out of in Iraq. I have some good photos of it being the junk that it is.

Vacuum tubes or not, Mig-25 radar was the most powerful airborne radar of it's time. Among soviets there was the joke that, when the pilot forget to switch it off on landing, it kill the rabbits around the airstrip.

An interesting discussion, don't know how much accurate: http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/MiG-25.html

DogW

That very same rumour surrounded the English Electric Lightning. I think the idea of the RADAR killing rabbits on landing or take-off was just a general joke of the era, or obvious misinformation.

I doubt they actually killed them. But if they did ... well, the rabbit itself would be dead - but I'm sure it's little bunny friends found it horrific and tried to sue the MoD.

Red Barons Plane...

Fokker_DVll_D7_Fighter.jpg

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Okay well here is my take on the matter. I really dont think you can compare any of these aircraft to one another. Well some you can like the Spitfire to the Fw-190 and the P-51 which in that case in my opinion would go to the Spitfire very closly followed by the Fw-190 and then the P-51. However it is impossible to compare a P-51 to a F-15 Eagle. No contest and no comparison.

The only thing about these aircraft that can compare is their combat record, in which clearly the P-51 wins, the main factors of this thread are how the aircraft operated during its own wars, popularity, the significanse it had on the history of dogfighting etc

If you want to compare them the way you are thinking Adler, try separating the planes by their timeline, Camel vs DR.1 WW1, Triple threat-P51 vs Spitfire vs FW-190 WW2, F86 vs Mig 15 Korea etc.

Does that help?

Oh and by the way, the DR.1, I made a mistake, I thought that was the one that the BAron was flying, so I should have put DR 2

I saw the Discovery Wings show that aired this competition. Some of the "experts" on there were freaking pinheads. They were attempting to say that certain aspects of the Mig-21 and F-4 Phantom were "flawed." I bet none of those guys ever got close to a combat aircraft either as a pilot or as a maintainer!!!

mickey.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back