Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Boy. for all the armchair aviation and military training you have, you seem to be unaware (or choose to ignore) that some nuisance raids were undertaken just to piss off the population, keep people up at night, expend emergency services, stretch defenses and finally diminish the will of the people to continue to fight (at least that's the ultimate goal). If you lob a few bombs over the CITY of London, you're going to achieve most of this objective, it doesn't matter what you hit. A poster quoted several pilots who flew these raids along with sources. Please, this is going from silliness to stupidity.
By only discussing daylight raids, sight is lost of it being a combined offensive on London. From 7 September London was bombed 57 consecutive nights, daytime Jabo raids started shortly after. The daytime raids discussed in October are in the middle of that period, after a night of bombing it is much more than a nuisance to make everyone take to the air raid shelters for most of the day, in fact it is impossible, people were trapped in buildings and water and gas mains were damaged etc. The idea that the LW would be given a free hit to continue this indefinitely (there was no effective night time defence) is beyond preposterous.

Was there ever a study about how accurate Luftwaffe bombing was, not counting Ju 87s and other diving bombers?
During the BoB era they were very good, many of the targets were easy to find and things like Knickebein were effective at the start of the battle of the beams. By the time of the Baby Blitz almost all experienced crews had been lost and night time defences had improved to the point that it was a sad waste of men and machines.

It's a talent.

Also on that note, I hunker down for a hurricane, which turned out to be a tropical storm, lots of rain, not much wind and you guys have run out three more pages of posts. Now THAT'S talent.

Stay safe, PG!

I know I'm not the one here who thinks least about the P-39, but I don't think that you're doing it any favours right now either. It becomes increasingly difficult to discern between the plane and its advocate.

This is very apt. When tunnel-vision obscures facts, and results in regarding one's own opinions as more regnant than, say, the folks who fought the battle, that's a clear sign that there's some bias in play.

A true expert acknowledges other views in his field of expertise, not only to dismiss them, but as well to regard them and perhaps add facts into his portfolio. Writing anything like " I need no more education" is usually a sign that certitude has overtaken learning.

Stay safe, PG!

This is very apt. When tunnel-vision obscures facts, and results in regarding one's own opinions as more regnant than, say, the folks who fought the battle, that's a clear sign that there's some bias in play.

A true expert acknowledges other views in his field of expertise, not only to dismiss them, but as well to regard them and perhaps add facts into his portfolio. Writing anything like " I need no more education" is usually a sign that certitude has overtaken learning.

Bacon awarded for the first use of "regnant" that I've seen on this forum. Bravo, sir!!! :)

He111s and Do17s are bombers which, by definition, CANNOT be flaming because it's always the fighters that are flaming while bombers are bloody (to whit the words of the immortal Michael Caine, "Leave the flaming fighters it's the bloody bombers we want!").

You are SUCH an AMATEUR!!!! :)
How about flaming bloody bombers, then? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back