Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

you're not gonna believe this, given the forum we're on...

Which reminds me of something amusing when, about 10 years ago, on an online game, I took the name Peter_Three_Eight after of course, our beloved twin Allison powered beauty.

When Lo, I did begin to get compliments on picking such a meaningful verse for my screen name:

1 Peter 3:8
King James Version

8 ​Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

In retrospect, I fairly like it.

1630328315414.png

As we have heard, all airplanes are a compromise and no single airplane is best at all missions.

The P-39 is a true compromise, not being the best at ANY mission. It seems to be mediocre at ALL missions and had a rearward CG after it attacks anything. So, once the heart-pounding combat is finished, you have the heart-pounding flight-back-home-without-tumbling to finish.

That is, of course, an exaggeration, but seems to fit the theme at this time.

Wonder how the P-39 would have faired had a 2-stage Merlin been installed? That actually might fit. It could have been a sparkling performer that couldn't win anything because it didn't have the range to get there to fight.

The P-63B was to have the Packard Merlin, but demand for the V-1650 for P-51 production killed that concept.

Even the P-63's intended Merlin prototype, XP-63A s/n 42-78015 had it's engine fitting cancelled due to a lack of an available Merlin, so it ended up with a V-1710-93 instead.

I'm ashamed of it, and I posted it. Has a face that would make a train want to take a dirt road on a rainy night.

But, I like it better than this one:

Nd9GcSEHellFQHfnYTQa20v5dLBcHwx-QoqKZVK0Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

If that was a girl, you'd have to tie a roast beef to her face to get the dog to play with her.

Bad Greg, bad Greg. Repeat as required for suitable shame.

Maybe it would make a good control line model?

Wonder how the P-39 would have faired had a 2-stage Merlin been installed? That actually might fit. It could have been a sparkling performer that couldn't win anything because it didn't have the range to get there to fight.

How did the range/endurance of the P-39 actually compare with the Spitfire? How did they compare in range when both were carrying a 500 lb pound bomb?

For the Bell P-39Q, the range on internal fuel was 525 miles. That puts the combat range at something on the order of 262 miles or less before a turnaround, excluding any combat that required more than cruise fuel flow. A Spitfire II had a combat range of 248 miles. Combat range is a radius, so the P-39 and Spitfire II were very similarly short-legged.

For range when they were loaded, try Google or the POH for that. Neither one was exactly a long-range mount, but the Spitfire II didn't "tumble and roll and dig a big hole." The P-39 sometimes did.

How did the range/endurance of the P-39 actually compare with the Spitfire? How did they compare in range when both were carrying a 500 lb pound bomb?

The Spitfire did its best fighting after it ran out of fuel. It could fly for miles, climb, roll, and turn when the critical engine was dead.

I saw it in a documentary titled Dunkirk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back