Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think you may like this a German professor explaining Geordie which is from 50 miles north of myself and Rochie

and this from Yorkshire 50 miles south

My grandmother used to read books in Yorkshire dialect which is English words with different meanings and German grammar. She would often say "I doubt" at the end of a sentence, which actually meant "I think" or "Ich denke".

I remember my first voyage to USA in early 1990s. Two pilots boarded in Chesapeake Bay. They spoke to me and my helmsman in "normal" English. One of them picked up his walkie talkie and gave orders in...well... "less English" (for my Russian ears). And then they talked to each other in some alien language and I was ready to burst into tears.
One year later I served on a small tanker which visited many ports in UK along the coast and in the Manchester Canal. That was another eye (ear?) opening experience. Pubs were the best language schools. A pint or two made the learning curve smoother.
:occasion5:

Hi ThomasP,

The formula I used came from an aerodynamics text, but it only seems prudent to account for propeller efficiency. But the efficiency is already there when you check your rate of climb to start with. The intent of the formula was to predict the rate of climb with a change in horsepower assuming an engine tweak, not if the propeller changed or the aircraft got heavier.

Basically, you check your rate of climb and calculate your horsepower from the engine manual. Next, solve for the power required for level flight. Then, you vary the horsepower to get the new ROC.

But, your version of it seems reasonable. To check, I'd have to go try in a real airplane at different horsepower settings and verify the ROC. Unfortunately, I am not current in my license and am not likely to get current soon. But, I will see what I can do.

Cheers!

I think you may like this a German professor explaining Geordie which is from 50 miles north of myself and Rochie

and this from Yorkshire 50 miles south

My grandmother used to read books in Yorkshire dialect which is English words with different meanings and German grammar. She would often say "I doubt" at the end of a sentence, which actually meant "I think" or "Ich denke".

Terry (Airfrmes ) and I once spent an afternoon spamming a thread on here by typing in Geordie.
one of our American cousins's head popped when he read it :lol:

And drive on the correct side of the road, too. :lol:

They do...America copied the French. 'Nuff said! :)

Actually, driving on the left makes perfect sense because it ensures the right arm is free to wield a weapon if the person coming the other way demonstrates hostile intent. Unfortunately, since the advent of the automobile, that feature has become less significant...which probably accounts for the downfall of the British Empire. :)

They do...America copied the French. 'Nuff said! :)

Actually, driving on the left makes perfect sense because it ensures the right arm is free to wield a weapon if the person coming the other way demonstrates hostile intent. Unfortunately, since the advent of the automobile, that feature has become less significant...which probably accounts for the downfall of the British Empire. :)
But I disagree!
You'll note that in Jousting tournaments, the contestants ride to the right of the rail opposing each other in order to present their lance to the opponent.

The driver conveniently being on the left side of the vehicle, on the right-hand of the road reflects this noble tradition :p

But I disagree!
You'll note that in Jousting tournaments, the contestants ride to the right of the rail opposing each other in order to present their lance to the opponent.

The driver conveniently being on the left side of the vehicle, on the right-hand of the road reflects this noble tradition :p
Is that a real one you went to eight hundred years ago, or one you saw on TV?

But I disagree!

What a surprise!!!!

The driver conveniently being on the left side of the vehicle, on the right-hand of the road reflects this noble tradition

You're stretching there, my friend. Jousting had formal rules and was a competition. It wasn't a substitute for travelling along country lanes where a dastardly highwayman could really ruin one's day.

As to the relevance of competitions to general driving behaviours, in NASCAR the drivers only make left turns....so is that relevant to the highway? :)

You're stretching there, my friend. Jousting had formal rules and was a competition. It wasn't a substitute for travelling along country lanes where a dastardly highwayman could really ruin one's day.
As to the relevance of competitions to general driving behaviours, in NASCAR the drivers only make left turns....so is that relevant to the highway? :)
You clearly havn't been to America. The highways make no turns at all there

I remember my first voyage to USA in early 1990s. Two pilots boarded in Chesapeake Bay. They spoke to me and my helmsman in "normal" English. One of them picked up his walkie talkie and gave orders in...well... "less English" (for my Russian ears). And then they talked to each other in some alien language and I was ready to burst into tears.
One year later I served on a small tanker which visited many ports in UK along the coast and in the Manchester Canal. That was another eye (ear?) opening experience. Pubs were the best language schools. A pint or two made the learning curve smoother.
:occasion5:
When I joined the navy one of the class had a very strong Geordie accent. It was so bad he was given elocution lessons because as the PO said 'people need to understand you in a full gale' which makes a lot of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back