Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is the elusive high altitude P-39

9BCD82B8-1448-452D-8658-D6B19034CC6A.jpeg

Admin/mods have graciously allowed me to post P-39 information in this thread to keep from cluttering/hijacking other threads. This seems very fair to me since each of my posts on the other threads usually generate about 10 replies ranging from angry rebuttals to ridicule to pictures of rodents which does indeed clutter/hijack the other threads. Hopefully the angry rebuttals, ridicule and rodent photos will be confined to this thread only.

Any P-39 discussion is welcome here. No matter if you believe the P-39 was a useful fighter or it was useless junk that tumbled during every turn and the engine quit at 12000'.

Before being banished to this thread I had posted a chart of the P-39K from wwiiaircraftperformance.org that reflected the performance of the Merlin P-40F superimposed in blue. It is posted here again to show that a Merlin P-40F had about the same performance as a standard P-39K (an early version with the lower rated Allison V-1710-63 with a critical altitude of 12000').

Again all your comments are welcome. Including rodent photos if you feel them necessary. Thanks.

Attachments

• P-39K vs P-40F in Blue.jpg
    P-39K vs P-40F in Blue.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 30
And "aluminum" has four and not five syllables, damn it.

A wee bit of thread drift, the US spelling is in fact the original spelling of the word. It was initially written by an Englishman as aluminum, but it was changed to aluminium, again by the English sometime later to fit with other elements in the periodic table, such as uranium, sodium etc...

As you were, Pee Thirtyniners...

Admin/mods have graciously allowed me to post P-39 information in this thread to keep from cluttering/hijacking other threads. This seems very fair to me since each of my posts on the other threads usually generate about 10 replies ranging from angry rebuttals to ridicule to pictures of rodents which does indeed clutter/hijack the other threads. Hopefully the angry rebuttals, ridicule and rodent photos will be confined to this thread only.

Any P-39 discussion is welcome here. No matter if you believe the P-39 was a useful fighter or it was useless junk that tumbled during every turn and the engine quit at 12000'.

Before being banished to this thread I had posted a chart of the P-39K from wwiiaircraftperformance.org that reflected the performance of the Merlin P-40F superimposed in blue. It is posted here again to show that a Merlin P-40F had about the same performance as a standard P-39K (an early version with the lower rated Allison V-1710-63 with a critical altitude of 12000').

Again all your comments are welcome. Including rodent photos if you feel them necessary. Thanks.
It isnt as if we havnt covered this before, the question is when? The P-39s that were first sent to UK did much more than you describe. Compasses didnt work, the cabin filled with smoke when guns fired, they overheated and the landing gear broke, as you know. So when was the first P-39K in squadron service? The Mustang Mk I, Spitfire MkIX were introduced in early 1942 and the P-47 in late 1942/early 1943. The P-39 was what it was, it was behind the curve, it didnt start to arrive in UK until after the P-40 was in service there and N Africa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back