Groundhog Thread Part Deux - P-39 Fantasy and Fetish - The Never Ending Story (Mods take no responsibility for head against wall injuries sustained)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah. Stop and think about it and the P-39 was a very high-performance airplane compared with whatever new pilots had flown before. It climbed well over 3,000 fpm immediately after takeoff and was faster and better-performing in general ... along with having a few vices. I would not be at all surprised to find training P-39s with empty ammo loadouts, meaning aft CG positions.

That could have made for some interesting flights given the P-39's sensitivity in pitch and tendency to tumble at aft CG positions. Might account for some training accidents.

In my case, I had watched and pulled stumps before, and the tires always spun until the stump came out. It took me by surprise when the tires didn't spin.

In the case of the P-39 pilots, they had experience with planes that behaved properly and, if the P-39 departed in some manner around the stall, it was likely the first time they had encountered that behavior.

In a way, Greg, your tractor incident can be compared to new P-39 pilots, where the unexpected caught them off guard.
"When the unexpected caught them off guard." You can probably say that about all the high performance fighter aircraft of the day ( maybe even now). With 51s I know guys who got a big surprise slamming to full throttle on take off. They went skidding off to the left. If they didn't drain so much fuel out out of the fuse tank, doing certain maneuvers could be fatal. They probably all had their "quirks" that the pilots hoped to avoid and out live.

But did he have a reverb on it to make it sound like stereo??
Don't remember, since I was very young at the time.

However, fast forward to the late 80's and I found a dual output/mono input reverb in one of Dad's boxes when I was helping him move stuff to storage. The box contained stuff like a Stewart-Warner tach and so on.

Here's what's interesting:
The reverb was in an elongated metal box with a black wrinkle finish that measured 2" by 1-1/2" and was about 8" long. On one end of the box was a two screw terminal market "input" and on the other end, were two more terminals, each labelled "output".
Inside the box, were two springs that spanned the length of the box's interior.

So, my guess would be yes, he did.

Don't remember, since I was very young at the time.

However, fast forward to the late 80's and I found a dual output/mono input reverb in one of Dad's boxes when I was helping him move stuff to storage. The box contained stuff like a Stewart-Warner tach and so on.

Here's what's interesting:
The reverb was in an elongated metal box with a black wrinkle finish that measured 2" by 1-1/2" and was about 8" long. On one end of the box was a two screw terminal market "input" and on the other end, were two more terminals, each labelled "output".
Inside the box, were two springs that spanned the length of the box's interior.

So, my guess would be yes, he did.
Yeah, they had a spring inside but it was to help with the sound. if you went over a bump hard you would hear a loud crashing sound! I have to dig through my stuff it may be buried in my garage somewhere....along with some Cal Custom, Mr, Gasket, and Hurst shifter stuff...lol

Yeah, they had a spring inside but it was to help with the sound. if you went over a bump hard you would hear a loud crashing sound! I have to dig through my stuff it may be buried in my garage somewhere....along with some Cal Custom, Mr, Gasket, and Hurst shifter stuff...lol
Some people used to have a spring reverb on their radio's microphone, too.

The FCC frowned on that practice, but rarely ever enforced it.

2AG.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back