Groundhog Thread v. 2.0 - The most important battle of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like the French country side. I think it is a beautiful country. I just tend not to like the people. I have met some nice French but most of them I did not get along with. The best ones that I have met were the French Soldiers in Bosnia and Kosovo. They were alright from what I could tell, well the junior enlisted and junior officers that is, the higher the rank the more arrogant I found.

I always pictured the RAF as the flamboyant rich boy pilots with the thick accent who were arrogant and stuff but had the right to be that way because they would take off into the sky and risk there lives day in and day out.

The French are fine when you are not in France. But once you go there, they treat you like trash. When they are visiting your country, they think they are doing you some kind of favor.

I had a friend who spoke fluent French who studied there for a year. That summer he had his girlfriend and her sister and sister's boyfriend come out to France for vacation. Constantly the French would pull him a side and say "why are you with these <insult of choice" americans?".

But the true colors of the French are now exposed for all to see.

=S=

Lunatic

Without the E. Front the US and Brits would not have been considering an invasion of the continent. At least not in 1944.

I don't think there is any way that Hitler would not have invaded Russia by 1942, perhaps 1943 at the latest. So Stalin would have had to strike before that point.

Had Hitler not been forced to war in 1939, the most logical thing would have been for him to strike East right off in 1941, through Poland and into Russia, and hope to appease the West while doing so. He might have claimed he was not invading Poland, just "passing through"

=S=

Lunatic

The allies would not have waited though they would not have let him do that

actually we were determined to stay out of the war as long as possible, it was only because we pleged that we would help defend belgium if they were invaded thet we came into the war....................

Hi all when was Hitler "forced" to war in 1939?

I agree that Hitler could have waited until 1943, but he hated the Russians as much as the English, or more.

But the Eastern Front was needed think if all those Fw 190s were to come our over the West, the RAF and USAAF would have been tost

But as for the bid that Pearl Harbor was the day the Axis lost, I think not

No.

Britain and France had a treaty with Poland, which they honored. When Germany invaded Poland, both Britain and France declared war on Germany. The Germans didn't invade the low countries and France until several months later. Britain did conduct some minor air operations against Germany during this period.

=S=

Lunatic

In Principle the Bulge was a great gamble that the Germans should have been able to do better with. But they ran out of gas and those green and battle fattiged troops held out for all they had. But the Germans did take a lot of POWs. Then the weather broke, the P-47s dove in and Patten turned north to cut them off

So you're basically reinforcing that the world is hating America right now?

Not quite.... this happened over 20 years ago. 40 years ago the French treated American visitors rudely. 20 years ago the French treated American visitors rudely. Let's face it, the French just don't like Americans... after all all we did was send many 10's of thousands of young men and boys to die liberating their country that the lost to the German's in just 6 weeks, why should they treat us with an respect or gratitude?

Nonskimmer said:
I don't think their disdain is limited to Americans.

Probably not. They think they are better than everyone. I just cannot see why they think this?

Yeah but RG_Lunatic thinks everyone hates Americans, and that everyone owes America there lives. I really hate saying things like this because I am pround of my American citizenship and always will be, but I dont think anyone owes anything to anyone.

The curious thing going on in World War Two literature is how information which happens to be public domain has been processed in such a manner it will solely serve the interest of the victors, which of course makes the standard procedure for any victor.

With perhaps the exception of a minority who have read and researched further on the issue, the world has the view (the "truth") Germany was the only agressive expansionist beast loose across the European continent.

There was only ONE agressor who wanted to "conquer the world and exterminate all the non-aryan races of the planet". That is the truth in the mind of the majority of the people. And that is enough for the victors even if they know it is untrue. History tellers and writers have the most important client: the mass, and not that small sample of researchers.

While making a dramatic scenario, the sole view of Europe in 1939-1940 is not only distant from reality, it is laughable.

Ever heard of the Molotov-Ribentropp pact?
The soviets joined the attack against Poland a few days after Germany had begun "the rape of Europe" on September 1st., 1939.

Why did no one challenge the USSR? Dont you think it is strange? Why were France and England so bully on Germany but omitted to display a similar challenge toward the soviets?

Now cutties, please move your fingertip across the calendar which followed: after Poland surrendered, whose country´s offensive (agressive) move followed?

Answer: USSR (SURPRISE! which means it was not Germany).

The USSR started what for the Finnish is known as the "Winter War" in late 1939. Finland hardly had 3 million people at the time, while the USSR had some 160-170 million inhabitants.

Yet, the Soviet army in Finland showed its destiny for the future conflict with Germany, would mostly be one of shortcomings, tragedies, disasters and low quality performance.

The ill equipped, tiny but very brave and intelligent Finnish army inflicted the soviets frightful losses in men and war materiel. Only when the terrified soviets brought in more massive numbers of men and material did the Finns had to end their fight.

So see? The soviet attack against Finland is public domain. You can find it on every book making a general view of the war in Europe. Just as I said here, it is how the information is processed.

What about the soviet swallowing of the three Baltic States? What of Bessarabia and Bucovina which were taken away from Romania? Romania?? Have you ever read of the oil issue, which was fundamental in Hitler´s view? Soviets a midnight walk away from the Ploesti oilfields?

So see the list and you will see Germany was not the only agressor. The USSR was more than active, and willing to export its system to as many countries as possible. )

Cheers!

P.S. Hey guys, when will you understand America is a continent and not a sole nation?

The name of that country is United States of America.

Brazilians are Americans.
Mexicans are Americans.
Peruvians are Americans.
Chileans are Americans.

The peoples of Belize, El Salvador, Canada, St. Kitts, Surinam..and a very long list of countries form all a continent known as America.

Perhaps geography lessons are becoming very necessary in the U.S.A.?
)))))))

Users who are viewing this thread