Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat Academy 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Picked this model up for $4.00 just to have it and would like to start on it.

The problem is the instructions do not list any FS colors, rather Blue-Gray and White.

I'm in the process of using Google to look for recommendations, but was hoping for some help here.

A link to the kit is below:
Horizon Hobby: 1/72 F4F4 Wildcat by Academy/Model Rectifier Corp. (ACY1650)

Also it doesn't look to me that there is much to mask, rather I need to try and overspray for lack of a better term. My guess is I will put the bottom color on and then overspray the top. Does that sound right?

Thank you!

Jon

Hi Jon, the 2-tone Pacific scheme would be lower: M-495 Light Gray, FS36440, and upper: M-485 Blue Gray, FS35189. Yes, the navy schemes had "soft" sprayed demarcation lines, and you will go back and forth quite a few times with each color before you are happy, ask me how I know :oops:.

Color information from IMPS Stockholm Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

Hi Jon, the 2-tone Pacific scheme would be lower: M-495 Light Gray, FS36440, and upper: M-485 Blue Gray, FS35189. Yes, the navy schemes had "soft" sprayed demarcation lines, and you will go back and forth quite a few times with each color before you are happy, ask me how I know :oops:.

Color information from IMPS Stockholm Urban's Color Reference Charts - Part I

Thank you Bob!

This will be my second Wildcat and I think it's time to step outside of the lines and give this a shot. I couldn't beat the price.

Thanks again,

Jon

Last edited:
Hey, Jon. I built that same kit a year or so ago. I painted the bottom color first, then the top. I used white on the bottom and a lightened blue-gray on the top for the markings that I chose. Like Bob said, I ended up painting the demarcation lines a few times before I was happy with them. Here is a pic:

airplanes008.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back