Grumman F4F Wildcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1942 HMS Formidable AM974

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Can you imagine operating in those conditions with such narrow aspect landing gear? Just when you're off the ground, relaxing all the tight muscles, you still have to crank them up, then you can go after Japanese bombers and fighters… Now people whine and cry that one time a year, they have to crank up a crappy little OEM jack to change a flat tire on their car.

Can you imagine operating in those conditions with such narrow aspect landing gear?

It might have been narrow, which it was, but it was surprisingly robust. The F4F remained operating in pretty rough conditions on Pacific landing strips throughout the war. I don't have to hand anything that displays failure rates because of the harsh conditions, but it is not something I have read. The F2A's gear was notoriously trouble prone.

I think those F4Fs are -4s. They had electric gear. -3s had the hand crank. This per an ex Naval Aviator who flew both from Henderson. He said with the -3 you cranked til it got hard, then poked the stick forward to unload gravity on the gear and help it come up the rest of the way. "Whatever you do, don't lose your grip on the crank; it'll flail around and break your forearm!" He had the scar to prove it.

Great bit of info, thanks!

I'm not aware of an Electric Gear in any F4F/FM.

Here are a couple of photos that always interested me…

This was described as gun test firing on USS Ranger prior to Operation Torch… I always wondered if and how they test fired guns while on deck.

This next pic is captioned USS Hornet on route to Japan, during Doolittle Raid. I was always under the impression that the Hornet didn't have access to her fighters with the bombers aboard. Also of note from the same article this picture came from, the author states that Doolittle and another officer made test take-offs from the Hornet, to prove it could be done. I'd always heard the first take-offs were for the actual mission. Anyone ever heard of this?

There was a trial at Norfolk Virginia referred to here (Wiki says 3 Feb 1942) to prove the concept.

There is a series of photos here taken during the mission.

Things to note
1. Some show SBDs on deck amongst the B-25B

2. The B-25B were respotted on the deck prior to being flown off. When they left the USA they were parked from the aft end of the flight deck to forward of the island. They were respotted aft to allow a greater take off distance.

And by take off time with the aftmost overhanging the aft end of the flight deck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info!

Users who are viewing this thread