Guillows Model series 2000 B-17G

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

teammaico

Airman
Dec 13, 2007
I would like to build this model 4 engine( what size would be good) remote control with working landing gear. Where would I start getting all the remote contol systems for the engines, wings, tail, landing gear? Are there any plans for this kit or do you just improvise, adapt, and overcome?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim Varner

I would like to build this model 4 engine( what size would be good) remote control with working landing gear. Where would I start getting all the remote contol systems for the engines, wings, tail, landing gear? Are there any plans for this kit or do you just improvise, adapt, and overcome?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jim Varner
602-758-5805

Jim:
I hope you've got a big bank account. I have a friend with a r/c F4U that
he's got about $4,500.00 sunk into it. Retract's are not cheap, plus
servos for flaps, elevator and rudder and alierons plus engine controls.
And, of course, the r/c controller...

If you're serious there are dozens of places on-line to check prices.
Good luck....

Charles

"I can only please one person per day...

Today is not your day.....

Tomorrow doesn't look good either."

Please, ccheese, my I make a sign of your sig and hang it up at work?

It's priceless!

tom

Evangilder thanks for the warning.
Does anyone know if the thottles are controllable on .049 engines? The plans call for 2 .049 engines but I would like it to have 4 so it would look original. This is my first build since I was 14. I am probably way over my head but, I am mechanically inclined and an engineer so I think I can do it. I have been checking out other sites for tips. My concern is 4 engines, will they be too powerful or can you just thottle down and all will be good.
Thanks again for any suggestions.
Jim
PS here is my inspiration attached. My dad and his crew 4-11-44

Attachments

• 42-97083 Plane.JPG
    42-97083 Plane.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 42-97083 Crew.JPG
    42-97083 Crew.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 192
"I can only please one person per day...

Today is not your day.....

Tomorrow doesn't look good either."

Please, ccheese, my I make a sign of your sig and hang it up at work?

It's priceless!

tom

Absolutely ! I have that same sign in my office, but it's kinda hidden in the
top of a bookcase. However, I can't claim it as original.

Charles

Does anyone know if the thottles are controllable on .049 engines? The plans call for 2 .049 engines but I would like it to have 4 so it would look original. This is my first build since I was 14. I am probably way over my head but, I am mechanically inclined and an engineer so I think I can do it. I have been checking out other sites for tips. My concern is 4 engines, will they be too powerful or can you just thottle down and all will be good.
Thanks again for any suggestions.
Jim

Jim: Depending on the maker of the engines (Cox, McCoy, OK Cub)
you can buy a "gizmo" that acts like a bellcrank for taking the engines from
Idle to half power to full power. What's the wingspan of this B-17 and what
do you estimate the weight (with engines fuel) to be ? Are you going
glo-plug or ignition ? (added weight). Lots of factors to consider.... What
type of construction ? Balsa and tissue or sheeted and planked ?

Charles

About the plane I am building it is the Guillows 45" wing span. It could turn out to be quite heavy since I want to put all the bells and whistles on it. That is why I am not too worried about the 4 engines. However I don't know any tricks of the trade. So I need help

Those 2 pictures have a long story and I want to share it with the world. That picture is of my dad's crew shot down 4-11-44 on Rostock mission. They set the plane down basically on a mud flat or beach. My dad is the guy near the back of the line, wearing cowboy boots and has his elbows up to cover the blood on his face. He was in the top turret when a second or third Flak shell exploded and blasted the side of his face. He never saw out of his left eye after that. You can see a little blood on his forehead. My dad paid the german photographer $5.00 and a pack of smokes to mail a copy of those pictures to his mother to show he was OK. The guy did it. My grandmother knew my dad was alive before the government notified her he was MIA.
Yes the entire crew lived. My dad went to stalag 17B and did the 250 kilometer force march.
Getting back to the pictures. Before my dad died he was quite active in the POW scene and went all over America for reunions. He had the picture with him everywhere and was a member of the 452ng BG Club or brotherhood. After he died in 1992 we could no longer find those pictures. I have been thinking alot about my dad lately and a couple of weeks ago I started looking for what group he flew for and so on. So I just typed his name and POW on google and up pops Missing planes of the 452nd BG by Ed Hinrich and tells about my dads flight, mission, crew and crash. And one of the paragraphs mention this Phil Irwin who claims to have a picture of the crew and plane. So I looked up Ed Hinrich and called him and ask him about this guy Phil Irwin and if he has any contact information on Phil. He tells me the street he lives on Torquay Shiphay Devon UK. I find this guy via a photoposting site and ask them to please give him my email address so I can ask him about the photos. He contacts me Monday and sends me the JPG images via email Tuesday and is sending me the originals next week. It turns out he collected plane crash photos of German Plane crashes and has written a book about them. Anyway during one of his collecting trips to Germany he found my dad's photo in a LOT of original German government photos and buys the entire lot. It is unbeleivable that 63 years later some guy in england gives me a photo of my dad and plane crew all the way from England and he does not want a dime. He is a great man. Thats the story they all lived most went to Stalag 17B and others Luft 4 or whatever the spelling. Plane went down just west of shillig Germany. I have been checking almost every photo collecttion on the web and I have never seen any prisoner photos yet. This could be the only one left in the world.
Jim

That's quite the story.... I'd treasure those photos.

Can you scan and put up the construction plans for just the fuselage ?
I'd like to see them.

Charles

The plans are pretty big 2'x3'. I will look for plans on web. Thanks for the comments about the pictures. It has been a 15 year search.

It is a 45" wing span and I estimate the weight to be from 45 to 55oz. Does that info help. Doing a little reading it looks like I can change the prop pitch to decrease the power if the 4 .049 engines are too much. That sound right?

It is a 45" wing span and I estimate the weight to be from 45 to 55oz. Does that info help. Doing a little reading it looks like I can change the prop pitch to decrease the power if the 4 .049 engines are too much. That sound right?

I am really moved by the photos and the fact that you found them after so long. What a miracle. I think it must be mind bending for you. So lucky.. Somebody up there liked your Dad, and you too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back