Handbag-wielding grandmother first interview: 'somebody had to do something'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Handbag-wielding grandmother first interview: 'somebody had to do something' - Telegraph

Handbag-wielding grandmother first interview: 'somebody had to do something'

A grandmother who tackled a gang of six jeweller's shop robbers with her handbag has given her first interview, saying she risked her life because "somebody had to do something".

By Andrew Hough and Laura Roberts 9:51AM GMT 08 Feb 2011

The woman, who did not want to be named, was captured on video beating away the men, who were wearing crash helmets and carrying sledgehammers, as they tried to rob the Northampton store.

She said: "I was standing talking with a woman when I heard a commotion and I looked across and saw six young men on scooters.
"At first I thought one of them was being set upon by three others. What concerned me was that too many people just stood around watching as if they were in shock and nobody was doing anything."

She told the Northampton Chronicle and Echo: "When I got closer to them I realised it was a robbery and then I was even more angry that they felt they could get away with what they were doing in broad daylight.

"One of the gang shot off ... On a scooter and nearly hit a woman and baby in her buggy. I clobbered him with my shopping but he got away."
She added: "Several people then came to help. It was over in what (seemed) like seconds.

"I am not a hero and it was maybe foolish of me to get involved but somebody had to do something. Now I just want to be left in peace." The men arrived on a motorbike and two motor scooters shortly before 9.30am yesterday.
The scene was clearly captured on video by a passer-by.

The three men who were riding pillion dismounted and immediately began swinging their heavy hammers at the glass of the jeweller's door and plate glass windows, while the riders kept the engines running.
Some of the glass gave way as staff inside panicked and the gang started to fill small holdalls with strings of jewels.

Most people on the street were content to watch the assault but one woman ran at the men apparently unhindered by her large bright red coat and thick scarf.
She plunged into the gang, swinging her handbag with two hands, and sent the men running for their transport as the staff at Michael Jones Jewellers in Northampton town centre managed to bring down security shutters.
Two of the men were so unsettled by the unlikely crime fighter that they overturned their scooter as they attempted to flee.

Onlookers encouraged by the woman's bravery then came to her aid and one of the men was pinned to the ground before police arrived.
Four men aged 18, 22, 25 and 39 were subsequently arrested and police are seeking two of the men.

A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police appealed for witnesses and said: "Both were wearing crash helmets after arriving at the scene on a motorbike.
"The six offenders arrived at the shop on three motorbikes and attempted to smash the windows of the shop with sledgehammers.

"The offenders were disturbed by members of the public and fled the area without taking anything. One of the offenders was detained by members of the public.
"The other three men were arrested by police a short time later."
"No one was injured."
The incident took place on the corner of Gold Street and Bridge Street in the town.

-------------------------
You rock, lady!!! :thumbleft: :thumbright: :salute:

:evil4:

Attachments

• granny-gilf-demotivational-poster-1225054665.jpg
    granny-gilf-demotivational-poster-1225054665.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 164

Users who are viewing this thread

Back