Harry "Gunner" Kenton, USMC - American hero (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My avatar is a picture i took at Fort Benning. On the bottom of Big Red One statue it reads: "No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great, duty first!"

I think ill make that my next quote under my sig.

Alder, my great-uncle has a similar story to what yours was about a general. He was a replacement with the 101st Airborne. When they crossed over into Germany, he had to guard some POWs. Walking toward him is the famous General himself who replied "nuts" to a surrender at the Ardennes. He walks up to my great-uncle who was holding his M1 Rifle wrong and chews him out because he wasn't holding it right!

P38 Pilot said:
My avatar is a picture i took at Fort Benning. On the bottom of Big Red One statue it reads: "No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great, duty first!"

I think ill make that my next quote under my sig.

That is the motto of the First Infantry Division. We are supposed to say "Duty First" everytime we see an officer and salute them. We dont do it. It gets annoying after a while.

P38 Pilot said:
Alder, my great-uncle has a similar story to what yours was about a general. He was a replacement with the 101st Airborne. When they crossed over into Germany, he had to guard some POWs. Walking toward him is the famous General himself who replied "nuts" to a surrender at the Ardennes. He walks up to my great-uncle who was holding his M1 Rifle wrong and chews him out because he wasn't holding it right!

Interesting story. That is actually what makes me mad about the 1 ID. They are more concerned with how you are dressed and look then how you fight the battle. I think it should be the other way around.

Interesting story. That is actually what makes me mad about the 1 ID. They are more concerned with how you are dressed and look then how you fight the battle. I think it should be the other way around.
I agree! When you are not fighting a war you should dress nicely and represent your division with pride. But when you are fighting, that shouldn't be the case.

never say that to a British officer, he'll get the staff seargent to shout you into the last century, it's w ell known fact in the circles of the higher ranks that a well dressed unit will fight better ;)

You have to be clean shaven, shined up and ready to die in your best when on the battlefield.

plan_D said:
You have to be clean shaven, shined up and ready to die in your best when on the battlefield.
No, you should be as clean as posiible and your clothing and equipment in as good condition as possible -- taking into account the combat situation you are in -- in order to function at your best.

I will only be able to contribute occasionally to this forum in the future. I now have seriuos health problems (particularly prostate cancer) that sap my energies and affect my ability to concentrate. I need to devote most of my time and energy to my family and the accomplishment of a multitude of projects to which I am committed. I have enjoyed my brief participation on this Forum and have learned much from all of you -- thank you for your gracious acceptance. I will contribute from time to time as I am able.

I will continue to maintain my non-commercial/non-profit website http://jp29.org/ -- please visit it periodically for updates and additions.

James Pickering said:
plan_D said:
No, you should be as clean as posiible and your clothing and equipment in as good condition as possible -- taking into account the combat situation you are in -- in order to function at your best.

Agreed

Again like I said in the other thread, good luck James and best wishes. I hope your health improves and we all stand behind you in your fight.

Airborne is not a MOS (Military Ocupational Speciality) in the Army. Anyone can be Airborne. I am a Blackhawk Crewchief and I can be Airborne, all I have to do is apply to the Airborne School and if I am accepted I go, and then I will be primarily assigned to aviation units that are in Airborne Units such as the 82nd Airborne Aviation.

If you wish to be an Airborne Infantry soldier then you need to go Infantry and tell your recruiter you want the Airborne option.

Thanks guys. SO I could go into the 101st Airborne if I just ask? Does the 101st still have PIR? (Parachute Infantry Regiment)

I plan on going to college but want to graduate through ROTC courses. Oh and can officers go to training to become a paratrooper?

No P38 you do not ask for a unit and they do not just give you what you want. You sign up for a job and they send you where the Army wants and needs you. There are plenty of Airborne units out there, and just because you are airborne you dont just get sent to Airborne units. I have people in my unit that are airborne and we are not an airborne unit.

101st is no longer an Airborne Unit. They still where Airborne over the Screaming Eagle out of tradition and yes many people that are in the 101st are Airborne Qualified, but it is not an Airborne Unit anymore. They do not jump out of planes. They are Air Assault and fly into battle in Blackhawks. Have been that way since Vietnam I believe or shortly there after.

P38 the Army is not a job where you just walk in to a Recruiter and say I want to be this and I want to go here. The Army does with you what they want. Yes you have somewhat of a say so, but it is not like the Hollywood Army that believe it is and talk about all the time on here.

Yes officers can go to Airborne School. Anyone can go to any School, it is just if the Army approves your request.

If you want Airborne, the unit should be unimportant. Have you ever heard of the US 17th Airborne, P38? Probably not, most haven't. But they were involved in the largest and most successful airborne invasion in history. Look up Operation Varsity. If you are looking to serve, then serve. If you only want to wear a unit patch, buy the T-shirt.

I forgot about this thread. But I would like to point out ...I WAS FREAKIN' JOKING!

evangilder said:
If you want Airborne, the unit should be unimportant. Have you ever heard of the US 17th Airborne, P38? Probably not, most haven't. But they were involved in the largest and most successful airborne invasion in history. Look up Operation Varsity. If you are looking to serve, then serve. If you only want to wear a unit patch, buy the T-shirt.

Yeap and besides you just can not sign up for a unit. You can tell your recruiter I want to be Infantry and I wan Air Assault school and most likely you will go to 101st Airborne. If you go to Airborne School you could end up in the 82nd, you could end up in 18th ABN Corps, you could end up in 52nd Signal, you could end up in SOCEUR, the places are endless.

Also just because you go Airborne does not mean that youw ill end up in an Airborne unit. You could end up in 25 Infantry Division or 1st Infantry Division. Like I said I have buddies in my unit who are Airborne. We are not an Airborne Division and we are Aviation!

P38 it is not like Hollywood where you go and join the glorious unit because you want to. The army send you where they want to!

Thanks for telling me this guys. The more I know, it will help me. I don't mind being Air Assault. I had a 2nd Cousin to be with the 101st at Hamburger Hill in Vietnam. I wouldn't even mind if they put me with the 25th because they are stationed at Fort Benning and thats only a 45 minute drive from where I live.

I have read something about the 17th Airborne as well. It was in Fort Benning's Infantry museum honororing them for their bravery.

I have always wanted to be Airborne or Air Assault. Either one is just ok. I wouldn't mind being in the Infantry even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back