Harry "Gunner" Kenton, USMC - American hero

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P38 Pilot said:
Thanks for telling me this guys. The more I know, it will help me.

Thats why I tell you these things.

P38 Pilot said:
I wouldn't even mind if they put me with the 25th because they are stationed at Fort Benning and thats only a 45 minute drive from where I live.

25th Infantry Division is in Hawaii and Alaska. I have several friends in the 25th ID and they were deployed to Iraq with us.

I have read something about the 17th Airborne as well. It was in Fort Benning's Infantry museum honororing them for their bravery.

P38 Pilot said:
I wouldn't mind being in the Infantry even.

It is not Hollywood!

syscom3 said:
17th Airborne or is it the 173rd Airborne?

For Operation Varsity, it was the 17th AB "Thunder From Heaven". I should also add that the British 6th AB, "The Red Devils" were also part of that invasion. It was Montgomery's show.

Yeap and unfortunatly there are a lot of people here that dont see that. They either think it was just England or just the United States. It shows in there posts. They need to realize that it was a global fight and every nation that pitched in, did there part and help the war cause.

Yes. I defintely know the 24th ID are stationed at Fort Benning. THey have some pretty good snipers because a classmate of mine said that his dad was a sniper with the 24th.

I don't think the unit a guy is in determines whether or not he is a good sniper. You are either a good shot and make a good sniper, or you are infantry. :lol:

Personally, I never had the patience to be a sniper. Too much sitting still and I get fidgety. I have to keep moving.

evangilder said:
I don't think the unit a guy is in determines whether or not he is a good sniper. You are either a good shot and make a good sniper, or you are infantry. :lol:

Personally, I never had the patience to be a sniper. Too much sitting still and I get fidgety. I have to keep moving.

Id love to be a sniper, its the one job in the army id actually want to do.

I remember seeing a demonstration by some snipers when I was in the AF. They are the masters of camouflage, which is pretty amazing in itself. That and their ability to move very stealthily.

Without going into too much detail, there was an op we were on where we stopped to take a rest while moving through an area. As we drank from our canteens and took 5, an unfamiliar voice asked us if we could move on! We were right in the line of fire for a sniper.

I have no idea what he was doing out there or what his target was, but we walked right up to him without seeing him. We had to move on so as not to attract any unwanted attention to his position in case we were spotted. But I will never forget the look on everyones faces when we heard that voice. We were all looking around and trying to figure out if it was our minds playing tricks on us! :lol: Kind of like a voice in your head with a Texas accent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back