Hasegawa 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero (Captured Pt.1)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

About attaching the propeller - it would appear the manufacturer intends for the prop to go on the shaft, then the cap to be glued on after - but no glue between the cap and the prop, only between the cap and the mounting shaft. The backing plate, spinner, and prop should all be glued together, but not to the cap, or the shaft. Rotating prop! It makes the assembly order a bit odd, but would still let the prop be movable.

Thanks guys. Masking the clear parts now. So far not one piece of the Eduard masks has fit properly; all too small or large. Frustrating but workable

Masking is done. Did a test fit of the rear clear part and had a momentary heart attack. Its been a while since I've been at this and I thought I had attached the antenna mast too early but the clear part fit snuggly over it

IMG_5972.JPG

I was going to attach the clear parts and start spraying but when I looked at the kit instructions I found that the antenna was red. I thought this odd so went out searching. Sure enough, what's left of my aircraft at the IWM has a red antenna.

1590114227523.png

I'll paint this and the rear decking and the spray tomorrow

Interesting that it's red. I thought maybe that someone painted it like that so that some numpty would't try to roll the thing under a low beam but then it wouldn't be painted all the way down, would it.

Thanks Hugh. Painted and weathered with a modicum of success. When spraying hairspray I found it hard to see where it landed and how much was applied. I'm also unsure of the wait time before trying to remove the paint, this time it was about 45 minutes. I also grabbed the wrong brush; the one I used being too stiff and removing everything down to plastic a few times. In the end I started using my cut-down number 0 brush that I use for dry-brushing and instead of a sweeping motion, I removed most of the paint and lightly dabbed it on the surface. A work in progress and I'll keep trying the hairspray method.

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

One thing I hadn't anticipated was the slurry that accumulated while trying to remove the paint. This slightly stained the bottom camo near the tail. I'll respray this later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back