Hawker Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wing commander Derek Kain mentioned in Spitfire the ANZACs, also handled the delivery of Hawker Hurricanes to Egypt during the later part of WWII. A future book will include a series of photos of the Egyptian Hurricanes. Pics courtesy of Malcolm Laird collection

egyptian-hurricane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wing commander Derek Kain mentioned in Spitfire the ANZACs, also handled the delivery of Hawker Hurricanes to Egypt during the later part of WWII. A future book will include a series of photos of the Egyptian Hurricanes. Pics courtesy of Malcolm Laird collection

View attachment 498936

Smokey Stover,
Great picture, do you know the title of the upcoming book and who might be publishing it? The Hurri is a passion for me and Im most interested.

Marauderman26

Smokey Stover,
Great picture, do you know the title of the upcoming book and who might be publishing it? The Hurri is a passion for me and Im most interested.

Marauderman26
I will certainly look it up for you. The Hurricane has always been my passion too. I have the front half (minus the wings) of a Mk llb sitting under a tarp in my garage. It's been a dream of' mine to fully restore a flight worthy Hurricane. But alas the time and money involved has kinda put a hold on things. Plus im not sure if the merlin engine still runs, and it still has to be stripped down and rebuilt. The only real problems i have is being able to fabricate a lot of the parts that just cant be found these days and makinig sure i stick to and adhere to the strict regulations set by the British aviation authorities. Oh and the small matter of getting my pilots license lol But who knows, one day my dream may become a reality. Although its looking doubtful right now.

CW0812-cover-medium.jpg
Smokey Stover,

Marauderman26
This is the link to the page. It has more pics and info and you should be able to find out about the book you require. Hope it helps.
Hurricane photos

(Update) I dont think the book on the Hurricanes has been published yet. But the publisher is here in the pic above, (Ventura Publications) And while this book is mostly on Spitfires it does have some pics and info on the Hurricane too. As well as other books on aircraft like the B-26, P-51 and many others

Last edited:
Someone has 'cleaned' Townsend's signature off that image, just leaving the flourish at the bottom of the T of Townsend.

The original was signed 'Peter Townsend 85 Sqn.'

Townsend is kneeling front and centre with the dog. Is he a Wing Commander already? I'm not 100% sure of RAF insignia, but if I am remembering them correctly that is an image taken late in 1941 at the earliest.

Cheers

Steve

It's a 'slip wing' Hurricane rather than a proper biplane.

It was the result of a private project by Hillson, the Hillson Bi-Mono which did slip the upper wing in flight.

Bi_Mono_2.jpg

Bi_Mono_1.jpg

The slip wing Hurricane was tested in 1943, but never slipped the upper wing in flight.

Hurricane_Biplane.jpg

It was a daft idea, an attempt to increase the take of weight, decrease the take off run, or both, depending which source you believe.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back