Hawker Sea Fury

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can anyone comment about the aerodynamics of the Sea Fury and how well it compares?

Probably one of the best streamlined piston-engined A/C? Basic wing was 'taken' from Tempest, but the central wing section was shortened, thus wing ended up not just lighter, but also of smaller area. T-t-C ratio was 14.5% at root, the wing is always described as of being of laminar flow profile.
The engine installation strikes me as very streamlined, with ram air intake and oil cooler blended within the wing (granted, the task was easier since the Centaurus was 1-stage supercharged engine without inter-/after-coolers). Weapons are also tucked in nicely.

The 'Fury' (a Sea Fury with latest either Griffon or Sabre instead of Centaurus) seem to be fastest of the whole Tempest/Fury line, and also looked gorgeous.

So it's a Super Tempest. Which Dora or 152 version do you think to be the equal of the (Sea) Fury performance wise.

How recent is that photo, Graeme? If it is recent, they're doing some much needed work on it.

Hi Grant - yes, it was taken February this year...

NM.jpg

Probably one of the best streamlined piston-engined A/C? Basic wing was 'taken' from Tempest, but the central wing section was shortened, thus wing ended up not just lighter, but also of smaller area. T-t-C ratio was 14.5% at root, the wing is always described as of being of laminar flow profile.
The engine installation strikes me as very streamlined, with ram air intake and oil cooler blended within the wing (granted, the task was easier since the Centaurus was 1-stage supercharged engine without inter-/after-coolers). Weapons are also tucked in nicely.

The 'Fury' (a Sea Fury with latest either Griffon or Sabre instead of Centaurus) seem to be fastest of the whole Tempest/Fury line, and also looked gorgeous.

So the Sea Fury was a low-alt fighter with 1-stage supercharger? The spinner is big and makes the radial air intake very thin just like Rare Bear's or other late-war radial engine's. Is this (NACA cowling) more aerodynamic than the ealier shapes of air-cooled installations, Say Fw 190A or Ta 152?

So the Sea Fury was a low-alt fighter with 1-stage supercharger?

While certainly not in the hi-alt category where P-47M/N, P-51H, Spitfire 20s/Spiteful, Hornet or Ta-152 belonged, it was not a dedicated low-alt fighter either. It was in league of F8F-2, Japanese top-league prototypes of 1945 (I'm not including Ki-100 or A7M here) and a bit better than F8F-1, P-63C, Fw 190D-9, F6F-5 or even -6, or any of the Soviet late war fighters.

The spinner is big and makes the radial air intake very thin just like Rare Bear's or other late-war radial engine's. Is this (NACA cowling) more aerodynamic than the ealier shapes of air-cooled installations, Say Fw 190A or Ta 152?

The air-cooled installation of the Fw 190A was probably still very competitive in 1945 (even if not ideal). The BMW 801 itself was not, even of we talk about 801S or 801F, especially above 20000 ft.
I'm no sure we can compare air-cooled engine with liquid-cooled engine installations, even the ones looking similar. WIth that said, Focke Wulf was calculating that cooling drag of the Ta-152 (including the intercooling) was 80% of the cooling drag of the BMW 801 - despite the Jumo 213E and DB 603L offering superior power at all altitudes.

While certainly not in the hi-alt category where P-47M/N, P-51H, Spitfire 20s/Spiteful, Hornet or Ta-152 belonged, it was not a dedicated low-alt fighter either. It was in league of F8F-2, Japanese top-league prototypes of 1945 (I'm not including Ki-100 or A7M here) and a bit better than F8F-1, P-63C, Fw 190D-9, F6F-5 or even -6, or any of the Soviet late war fighters.

The air-cooled installation of the Fw 190A was probably still very competitive in 1945 (even if not ideal). The BMW 801 itself was not, even of we talk about 801S or 801F, especially above 20000 ft.
I'm no sure we can compare air-cooled engine with liquid-cooled engine installations, even the ones looking similar. WIth that said, Focke Wulf was calculating that cooling drag of the Ta-152 (including the intercooling) was 80% of the cooling drag of the BMW 801 - despite the Jumo 213E and DB 603L offering superior power at all altitudes.

I forgot that the annular/drum radiator arrangement was aerodynamically much better than an aircooled radial one. At first it was feared to cause major drag but it turned out better than the cooling arrangements of the Spitfire and Me 109.
Is there more clarity now of how it compared to common ventral radiators on aircraft like the Italian 5G fighters or the leading edge arrangements of the DH 98, 103 or Sea Fury?

Can anyone comment about the aerodynamics of the Sea Fury and how well it compares?
Post from a while ago but you are still here regularly. The first Fury/Sea fury prototype was made by joining Tempest wings together so the wing span was reduced by the width of a Tempest fuselage. The Sea Fury (the fury was cancelled) and Bearcat were both lightening and improvements on what went before and were pretty much as good as it gets if you want a carrier based fighter bomber in 1945. The main difference between them is the colour schemes used, the performance difference was marginal, paint them both the same colour and they look the same to anyone except an expert.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back