Hawker Typhoon IB "Nicky" 439 Squadron RCAF 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry,

Interesting shots of the Duxford Typhoon. The two shots from the starboard side are of particular interest for me. The cockpit seat looks to be grey green and this colour can also can be seen on the framing to the lower left of the seat. Nice!!

As to the means for anchoring the shoulder straps of the seat harness I will have to add a strip of evergreen rod to the armour plate and have the straps secured this way.

Dave.

Last edited:
Terry,

Interesting shots of the Duxford Typhoon. The two shots from the starboard side are of particular interest for me. The cockpit seat looks to be grey green and this colour can also can be seen on the framing to the lower left of the seat. Nice!!

As to the means for anchoring the shoulder straps of the seat harness I will have to add a strip of evergreen rod to the armour plate and have the straps secured this way.

Dave.

Yep, they should look something like this, seen on my rather rough-looking 1/32nd scale model, currently stalled on it's re-furb! Note that the seat colour looks different due to the lighting. I have a photo of the real thing somewhere, if I can find it.

Attachments

• Bf109 and Tiffie 247.jpg
    Bf109 and Tiffie 247.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 746
Yep, they should look something like this, seen on my rather rough-looking 1/32nd scale model, currently stalled on it's re-furb! Note that the seat colour looks different due to the lighting. I have a photo of the real thing somewhere, if I can find it.

Perhaps something like this?

Typhoon5V-X seat.jpg

Also, Here's a drawing of the seat. I am going try and model its layout but not too interested at this point if involves parts you can't see.

images.jpg

Ah, of course - it's shown in the other pic of Nicky !
To be honest, not much can be seen of the seat, as the cockpit opening is small and narrow, so the kit seat, with the sides and front rim thinned to a more scale appearance, and with the quilted back-pad and seat harness in place will look more than acceptable.
I don't know if they'll be of any use to you, but I have a couple of cut away drawings, and, in part of the Bentley scale plans, side and plan elevations showing the internal structure, engine and mounts etc etc.
If you think they'd help, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll scan them actual size and send them to you.

Ah, of course - it's shown in the other pic of Nicky !
To be honest, not much can be seen of the seat, as the cockpit opening is small and narrow, so the kit seat, with the sides and front rim thinned to a more scale appearance, and with the quilted back-pad and seat harness in place will look more than acceptable.
I don't know if they'll be of any use to you, but I have a couple of cut away drawings, and, in part of the Bentley scale plans, side and plan elevations showing the internal structure, engine and mounts etc etc.
If you think they'd help, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll scan them actual size and send them to you.

Sound good Terry. I am sure they will be of use at some point in the future. Please send them along,

Thanks,
Dave.

Now that I am feeling better I am able to post some shots of the build thus far.

Here's a shot of the Airies cockpit floor after initial painting. No washes have been done and of course the rudder pedals and joystick have yet be added. The floor was painted in cockpit grey/green.

IMG_0250a500.JPG

And here is a shot of the left cockpit panel. I noticed after assembling it that Airies has you put what I believe is the seat adjustment bar behind the trim wheel when this actually it is fitted right to the left side the seat. I have changed this in my modifications and scratch building of the cockpit seat and armour panel and will show this in upcoming shots. I painted the lower half in cockpit grey green as per Terry's suggestions earlier.

IMG_0240a450.JPG

And a shot of the right cockpit panel. For the T switches/levers I used invisible nylon thread cut very small then ca glued and painted red.

IMG_0238550.JPG

Last edited:
More shots of the scratch building on the rear cockpit armour panel. Aries doesn't provide any detail here and as can be seen in previous pictures on this build there was a bar on the armour plate which the shoulder harness slipped over and were secured against the armour plate.

I cut out 3 brackets for the harness bar using plastic sheet then pre drilled the holes with a small bit then used a larger .5mm one that would allow the plastic rod to slip through. As you can see they have a pointed end on them which I will sand and round off make them look more in scale.

For this scale, rivets of the correct size are not really possible to do by just cutting off pieces of .5mm strip rod which is the smallest size you can get for instance in evergreen plastic. I have a number of different size rivets that I purchased from Masterclub for detailing my models and I did initially try .5mm rivets above the harness bar but they looked over-sized compared to the picture i was using as a reference so I went down to a .4mm rivet from Masterclub and they looked spot on. I kept the .5mm hex rivet on the top plate as it looked good by itself. These rivets are absolutely tiny and very hard to see. A steady hand was required to get them in place.

Also, the cockpit seat has a seat adjustment level on the right side as well. I suspect the left and right ones adjusted forward/backward movement of the seat while the other adjusted height.
So I scratch build the right hand lever which I will add last when assembling the cockpit to the airframe as well as the armour plate and seat.

IMG_0290a500.JPG

IMG_0296a500mods.JPG

IMG_0305a500mods.JPG

IMG_0301a500.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff so far.
The lever on the port side (left) is not attached to the seat, and has nothing to do with the seat - it's the hydraulic hand pump. It's visible in the overhead shot of the Perspex-panelled Duxford cockpit I posted earlier in the thread.
The seat height adjusting lever is on the starboard side of the seat frame. The seat was fixed, with no fore and aft movement - the rudder pedals could be adjusted to accommodate short or long pilot's (legs).
Check the location of the cockpit side panels, as the area below the tubular frame holding the throttle quadrant etc, was normally Interior Grey Green, with the area above the throttle, i.e. the upper side wall, in black.

Sorry for posting these late, I forgot I had them. This is the complete Typhoon of the RAF Museum, now under refurb for display at RAFM Cosford. Those areas which look bluish-grey are in fact Cockpit Grey Green, the effect of camera flash 'washing out' the colours.
The final shot is how she looked six weeks ago, awaiting re-assembly and refurb.
NOTE: Ignore the yellow surround to the Blind Flying Panel - this was added when the aircraft was in the USA for evaluation, during WW2, and was NOT on service aircraft.

Attachments

• Typhoon cpit colour.jpg
    Typhoon cpit colour.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Typhoon cpit colour 2.jpg
    Typhoon cpit colour 2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 369
  • Typhoon Cosford.jpg
    Typhoon Cosford.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 403
Guys,

Thanks for having a look and posting your comments. It is much appreciated.

I will make the changes to the side wall colours and the ajustment to the hydraulic hand pump. I can't tell where or how the left side hydraulic pump terminates. I am thinking it goes into the floor?? Any pictures showing this or suggestions would be appreciated.

For the cockpit seat the harness that comes with the aries kit is not a sutton type harness as it does not have the quick release mechanism. In the picture I posted of Fraser I can't tell what type of quick release harness he is wearing. I assume the pilots had sutton type quick release parachute harnesses so this might be that but not sure. It is sitting high on his chest which makes believe this is his parachute, whereas the picture Terry posted the cockpit harness looks attached to the lap/waist belts.

Because this is a late Typhoon the cockpit probably should have the sutton Q type harness? This means I have to either try and scatch build the harness(any suggestions here would be most welcome) or look for a PE spitfire harness. I would think eduard would have such a thing?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back