He-100

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not really.

The HE112 was more manouverable than the 109, but had a much lower top speed.

The HE100 was faster but very expensive.

These may just have been excuses by the RLM though?

I know the 109 was ordered whilst the trials were going on though.

I also know Ernst Heinkel was in Luftwaffes good and bad books due to things he'd done right/wrong.

Also he gave a few pointers to Reginald Mitchells assistant or whoever, I thought this was because he admired him.

But could he have had alterior motives? i.e. to spite Willy Me/RLM and see his ideas enter mass production?

The HE100 was faster but very expensive.

After the defeat of the He-112 desing in 1936, the Gunthers brothers take seriously the effort on simplified the production.

To ease production the new design had considerably fewer parts than the 112, and those that remained contained considerably few compound curves. In part count the 100 was made of 969 unique parts and was held together with 11543 rivets, in comparison the 112 had 2885 parts and 26864 rivets. The new straight-edged wing was a source of much of the savings, after building the first wings Otto Butter reported that the reduction in complexity and rivet count (along with the Butter brothers's own explosive rivet system) saved an astonishing 1150 man hours per wing.

Hey CharlesBronson if you are going to copy texts please source them so that this site does not get hit with copyright problems. I have used that website before so I remember that paragraph there.

Ah-ha! :D

Evapourative cooling!

It is very fragile and was used in the He-100 and was the main reason for it's high performance.

The Schmitts rads were far, far better and if the He used conventional rads, the performance advantage would be offset.

schwarzpanzer said:
Ah-ha! :D

Evapourative cooling!

It is very fragile and was used in the He-100 and was the main reason for it's high performance.

The Schmitts rads were far, far better and if the He used conventional rads, the performance advantage would be offset.

According to this website

http://www.geocities.com/lastdingo/aviation/he100.htm

The He 100 had some problems with its condensation cooling system, but these were solved with an additional retractable normal cooler under the fuselage and the original condensation cooling system proved that it was able to take as much battle damage as well as normal cooling systems. The C serie proved that this fighter can carry a armament superior to all enemies of its time. The expectable dogfight tactics would have been similar to the F4U Corsair and Fw190A (hit and run). Why didn´t this plane succeed? Even with a standard cooling system (and no condensation cooling), it would have been still fast enough to be state-of-the-art until at least 1942! The only weakness I found was the small wing area of 14,50m2. It later would have limited the amount of additional armour, horsepower, armament and fuel and resulted in a high landing speed. In fact, the allies wouldn´t have had any chance in the Battle of Britain against 800 Heinkel 100D instead of 800 Me 109E!

Goebbels used a squadron of He-100's in a propoganda poster making the Brits believe the Nazis had a new fighter

It appears to me the key issue of He-100 production cost was never answered. We know how many manhours were required to build the Me-109 and Spitfire airframes. What was the estimate for building mass produced He-100s?

LOOK AT THE UPPER LEFT HAND CORNER OF THE LAST POST AND NOTICE THE DATE - YOU ARE REPLYING TO A THREAD THAT IS ALMOST 4 YEARS OLD!!!!!

Well, must be because the He-100 is a very interesting aircraft 8)

mpmnews51bg_3.jpg

Last edited:
The main reason that the HE 100 was not build for sevice, was the liquid cool system in the wings.

First, one shot through the wing and the plane lags cooling liquid.
Second, the cooling system was not large enough for any other engine only for the DB 601 M (1175 PS).

That are the main reason for the RLM to put it not in service.

The highspeed of the HE 100 was 670km/h with the DB 601M (1175PS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back