Hellcat Diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blue Yonder

Airman 1st Class
Jun 8, 2008
Upstate New York
Hello Everyone,
I know that this says diorama and should be under modeling forums, but I am looking for pictures to help me in this.
I'm working on a diorama of a F6F-3 Hellcat. But this is not going to be like any other diorama that anyone I know has attempted. I have had an article called "The Hellcat That Wouldn't Die" that was found in the April 1985 edition of Air Classic magazine. The article discusses a Hellcat that was forced to ditch on Jan. 12, 1944 off of Point Loma, California and it's recovery in the 1970's. The Hellcat was moved to Pima Air Museum and then to the Pensacola Naval Museum where it was restored to static display.
What I am going to do with my Hellcat is make an underwater diorama, showing the Hellcat as it rested on the bottom of the ocean prior to recovery. Any photo's of the plane would be helpful. The serial number on the plane is Bureau Number 66237.
Here is the link to the actual plane, as well as the background on it:

Display

Also, anyone that has been to the Pima Air Museum that had photo's of the plane as it sat basking in the sun would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
-Pete

Last edited:
I haven't made as much progress as I would like:
Up10.jpg

Still working on the surrounding environment which has me puzzled?

Geez Wurger, I gotta pay more attention......

Now how could wild Blue Yonder be at 107 posts still??????????

But now BY, where is the diorama??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back