Hellcat wing fold closeups for modelers and artists

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What an engineering marvel.

When I was a kid (late 60's), I had a model of a Hellcat that had functioning folding wings. I'll be danged if I could remember who produced it. I'd love to build one again.

Thanks for the pics.

tom

could be a line to fire the guns or the bomb rack
oh_rly.jpg

I'm still convinced these components are part of the wing locking mechanisms. How could they be anything else? If you look at the mating pieces on the outer wing (Bottom square on my post above.) there are no wires lines, or anything else that would suggest some type of gun or bomb release connection. I'm thinking the kinks in the hydraulic lines are borne of painful experience............ The kinks are obviously (To me, at least.) meant to avoid the opening in the wing stub, and I have a feeling they were put there after some sort of ugly incident. From what would require the input from an experienced Hellcat mechanic or historian.

Understand that was part of the locking assy, but was wondering what would come through that hole? It would seem that the top line should be better supported but without being there its hard to really tell.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense, does it?

But, I figure they're there for a very good reason, else the A P mechanic would not bother with that sort of work.

As mentioned above, it'd be nice to hear from someone who works on these aircraft.

I used to work at the (Now closed) Planes Of Fame museum in Minnesota. Darn, I miss that job. I had access to a lot of very knowledgeable people.

Here's a photo of another F6F - it seems that line is secured to the lower hoses.

I'm an A&P and also have an IA and worked on warbirds (never on an F6F though). I would have concerns about the lines just sitting there. Depending how much pressure flows through the lines being unsupported they could work harden and eventually fail - just a minor observation.

I've seen this aircraft (the aircraft Eric posted photos of) up close and it is very clean and well maintained - just a little constructive observation...

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 71
OK, think I see why the lines are routed the way they are now.

If you'll look at the linkage that I've circled, you'll note that when closed, the part I've highlighted will appear to extend through the hole in the wing stub. I think that's why the lines are shaped the way they are.

I also note that the two aircraft sport entirely different hose assemblies.

Attachments

• f6fwing.jpg
    f6fwing.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 75
Yep! That's what it looks like!

As far as the hoses - the ones on the first set of photos seem to be newer and shorter and are also routed differently.

Great pics! Thanks. Below is made at CNO in 1982. Please note the alignment of the wing folding axis and the MLG.

Attachments

• image036.jpg
    image036.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 68
Ummm, FAA regulations would never permit fire-able guns on an aircraft in civilian hands, even a non-profit organization. Any "bombs", missiles and rockets are not live, and must be securely fastened to the aircraft and not jettison or drop capable.

Well, They're no fun! :evil: Spoil sports!

Ummm, FAA regulations would never permit fire-able guns on an aircraft in civilian hands, even a non-profit organization. Any "bombs", missiles and rockets are not live, and must be securely fastened to the aircraft and not jettison or drop capable.

i know that but to keep the thing as a real hellcat not a replica

Sitting here thinking about the wing fold and the guns. Maybe im missing something but everytime you fold and unfold the wings, would that throw off the alignment and convergence of the guns. Even if it is minute. It may be a stupid question, but im just curious.

Great pics. Thanks.

You beat me to it, FLYBOYJ pointing out the (hopefully temporary) use of copper tubing in the first picture wing stub? And, it looks like it was quickly installed. Too long and they should be conformed to come together and buddy-clamped to an additional clamp and then to an additional hard-point like they are where they exit the end-rib. Those aren't factory lines. They will soon crack at the AN fittings where they attach to that regulating valve with the vibrations of that 2800. Hurry-up-itis.

I know this is an old thread, but the photos are great. Thank you.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to animate the wing fold in AC3D to use on an X-Plane Hellcat model. I've studied still photos and videos but still haven't quite got it clear in my mind how to animate this wing fold, which seems kind of like some sort of cam operation, folding two ways at once?

(EDIT: After making this post, I was continuing my search and came across a description that said the action is an example of a skewed axis. One source described it this way: "The principle upon which the Grumman folding wing depended was what engineers call a skewed axis. This axis, in essence, was a pivot set in the wing root that projected outward and backward at a certain angle into the movable portion of the wing. It is difficult to describe, but any reader with an eraser, paperclips, ingenuity, and patience can duplicate the mechanism.")

Speaking of motorized versus manual, I've seen several videos of Grumman Avengers, where the wings were folded/unfolded by the pilot in the cockpit. I suppose the Avenger was such a powerful beast that they could afford to add the weight necessary to motorize the operation.

Bill

Last edited:
Hey, Eric,
Man, thank you for thinking of us. GREAT photos and a killer reference for when I get around to some PTO builds.
Dale

I posted a few more, and some engine and landing gear shots, in Bill's Hellcat thread in the current GB. Might or might not help, depending what you need.

Glad to help. On the Hellcat, I have never seen a motorized wing fold. I don't honestly know if it ever anything like that, but would guess that they did not have it to save weight and complexity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back