Helldiver Salvaged

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
A rare WW-II dive bomber was lifted 90 feet from the bottom of a San Diego reservoir Friday and hoisted
to dry land for the first time in 65 years. The SB2C Helldiver was brought to the surface after days of work
to free it from the several feet of mud and debris on the dark floor of Lower Otay Reservoir, where it was
spotted last year by two men using a fish finder.

The Helldiver crashed when the engine failed during a training flight on May 28, 1945. Sgt. Joseph Metz and
his pilot, E.D. Frazar swam to shore and survived but have since died.

The aircraft was fully intact, when recovered.

The plane will be dried out, disassembled and trucked to the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola,
Fla. for restoration and display.

This from an article in the Norfolk Virginian Pilot by Chris Carlson of the Associated Press.

This is a photo of the pilot, E.D. Frazar, and the ill fated SB2C.

Charles

Attachments

• helldiver2_t352.jpg
    helldiver2_t352.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Very cool indeed!
I was stationed at Ream Field in the early 60's with HS-2 training and HS-4 permanent duty!!!!
I had no idea it was operational in WWII.
I wonder how many times He went to Tiajuana for Tacos?????

Salvage: a Curtiss Helldiver divebomber emerges from a San Diego reservoir where it crashed in 1945. The plane was notoriously difficult to fly and was nicknamed 'Son of a Bitch 2nd Class'.

Attachments

• Helldiver.jpg
    Helldiver.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 97
Helldiver is a rare bird. Got to see one fly at Reading back in June.

Like to see this one in the air as well!

TO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back