Helmut Lent Ju88G-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

weinace

Airman 1st Class
Jan 4, 2009
Yorkshire UK
Hi Everybody!

Does anyone know of decal sheets for a 1/48 Ju88G-6 flown by Helmut Lent. I am buying the 'new' Orange Box kit by Dragon and would like to model his aircrfat D5+AA.

Thanks for any help,

Weinace:p

Which ever aircraft you choose to model, it's probably easier to obtain a sheet of Luftwaffe code letter decals. There used to be one in the now defunct Microscale range, and I think this is now available in the Xtradecal range, from Hannant's.

Thank you BOTH for your replies.

As ever - Erich has shocked me with his knowledge - and I'll now have to 'get rid' of my Ju88G-6!!! Drat it!!!

Eric what was the 'last type' of nightfighter Herr Lent flew?

Thanks again

Regards

Thank you Maximowitz!

Wonder if I can swop the 88G-6 for another 110G-4, but I'm looking for an excuse to build the 88G-6!

Regards,

weinace:p

Well, I think Peter Spoden flew the Ju 88 G-6, Erich can tell you if that's correct. I think someone should build one of his crates - particularly as the gentleman is still with us and I hope will be for many years to come.

@ Wayne it may be an R-2 though he shuld of flown G-1 but like Maxi said he went down in a 110G-4 ............ I think

there is a pic of Peter S. G-6 he has told me but the codes are not correct for the two G-6's that he flew which really means nothing.

check on the AIMS site for their decals they have some nice G-6's in many scales, but when you do ask me here for further details I helped John put these together but there still are some problems that have not been corrected yet.

Weinace do you want to do an aces crate or ...... ?

Good morning in a dull rainy UK - (what else!!)

Thank you both for your continued help, and I shall be 'scouring' the decal listings!!

Erich - I would like to 'do' a Ju88G-6 ace, as it give me a tenuous theme for 'The Boss' to sign off!!

I am building a Schnaufer 110G-4, which - originally - made a Helmut Lent 88G-6 attractive. If you have an ace in mind - that would be great!!

Regards to all

Good morning in a dull rainy UK - (what else!!)

Thank you both for your continued help, and I shall be 'scouring' the decal listings!!

Erich - I would like to 'do' a Ju88G-6 ace, as it give me a tenuous theme for 'The Boss' to sign off!!

I am building a Schnaufer 110G-4, which - originally - made a Helmut Lent 88G-6 attractive. If you have an ace in mind - that would be great!!

Regards to all

Greetings from a cloudy Clapham Junction! :)

As for a Ju 88 nightfighter subject.... have you considered Unternehmen Gisela? Plenty to get your teeth into there...

Unternehmen Gisela???????? Now you're just trying to give me a nervous breakdown!!!

One thing you can say about this hobby, you never stop learning!!!!! I know Gisselle is a ballet but an 'operation' - no!!

I'll definately investigate to find out which units took part.

Lucky for the R.A.F. the Luftwaffe ceased night operations over our airfields - especially the OTU's - so early in the nightfighting campaign.

Regards,

It's still 'dank' over Yorkshire

Gislea is a crazy matter, sure enough almost all G-6's a few G-1's took part. finding a decent photo is the important story again much of the a/c of the aces was not photographed for security reasons. Gisela was not the first raid over the UK but not the last either, 18 G-6's made another raid and then another two times two G-6's took off on those 2 operations

Lucky for the R.A.F. the Luftwaffe ceased night operations over our airfields - especially the OTU's - so early in the nightfighting campaign.

Yes, intruder ops by I./NJG2 ceased in 1941, they were then oddly sent to the Med.

KG 2 then did a little "freelance" work on their return run from bombing missions during 1943, and then II./KG 51 returned in 1944 as a true intruder unit.

Does anyone know why Nachtjager Ops over UK bases stopped?

Had they continued, attacking tired British crews after a mission or attacking trainees, surely this would have serioudly disrupted Bomber Commands build up - especially before the nightfighting Mosquitos became available, or was the UK's nighfighting force with Beaufighters already too strong?

Regards,

The short answer is they were stopped on the order of Hitler. He felt that for the average German worker the sight of bombers being shot down over the Reich would raise morale and be a useful propaganda tool.

Remarkably narrow thinking.

The short answer is they were stopped on the order of Hitler. He felt that for the average German worker the sight of bombers being shot down over the Reich would raise morale and be a useful propaganda tool.

Remarkably narrow thinking.

VERY narrow thinking.

He missed the obvious morale effect on German civilians of having bombs dropped on them before the bombers were brought down by Nachjager!!!

Regards,

weinace:(

back to your original thoughts which or whom as an ace would you like to do Weinace ? again let me point out that nearly all Ju 88G-6 aces crates were not photographed except rarely

E ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back