Help identifying TBD Devastator Kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have to agree with Andy,. The one I had had the multi canopy so this had to be of the earlier release.

I did not realize it, but they are actually trying to recover and restore one of the 3 known wrecks.
To Save a Devastator

Found this on a quick search for TBD trainers.

After being pulled from the front lines, TBD Devastators were used for communications and training from 1942-44.
Aircraft of WWII, General Editor: Jim Winchester, 2004

If it was used as a comm. A/C it could very well have a 'football' type antenna and mounting it in that spot would have been logical for that aircraft. That appears to me to be the type in your picture. Maybe your grandfather saw one of those and added it.

Thanks for all your help, from all the replies it does sound like the Monogram kit. I agree from the size it has to be a 1/48th scale model. The canopy does look to be one piece and you may not be able to tell, but it looks hand painted on the fuselage. It is definitely a plastic model, I remember us building it together. I was a model airplane freak even at that age, my Grandpa did not know much about planes. I don't think he would have added the radar, but who knows. Did Revell come out with a 1/48th kit back in the 70s? If the canopy was one piece, did the box art look different?

Last edited:
I never saw another TBD in anything close to 1/48th during that time. I was an AVID 1/48th/1/50th collector/builder in the60s, 70s and 80s with over 500 kits by the time I was married in 1981. The picture above was the only box art I remember for the TBD. It was defiintely on the original release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back