Help identifying TBD Devastator Kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

scigs30

Recruit
Jul 20, 2010
Hello, I need help trying to identify a model kit that my Grandfather and I built back in 1977. It is a TBD Devastator kit and I don't remember the kit manufacturer. My grandfather has since passed away and I would like to buy this kit and build it if I can identify it. From what I can tell from the picture is I put the decals on backwards but that's besides the point. There is a small antenna or radar behind canopy as you can see from the picture. Also I don't remember if we painted it yellow and blue or if the plastic with molded in yellow and blue. Please help. Thank you very much.
Meagain.jpg

Sorry I don't know the scale. From my search online, I have not seen a kit with the back radar.

Based on the size of the plane in the pic, that almost has to be 1:48. As Harrison says, Monogram did a 1:48 scale TBD1 Devastator back in the 70's. There is also a Revell Devastator kit in the same scale which is a re-release of the Monogram kit. Those are the only ones I know of, but neither is showing that odd hump. Those are the only two I could find.

There's one Monogram kit on Ebay now with a starting price of 4.99$. No bids so far. Auction closes in less than 48 hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monogram-1-48-T...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3180f1a

Attachments

• tbdbt.jpg
    tbdbt.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had the Monogramone (loved it) but I don't think that's the one. The canopy looks like it's in one piece and I do not remember it having the radar thingy near the rear gun.

Yea, I am totally stumped as well. I have been searching online the last few days since I received this picture and no luck. The thing that throws the kit off is the lump behind the canopy and the canopy itself.

My first thought was 1/48 and Monogram....still happy with my scale guess but ....that canopy and dome...I don't think it is Monogram??

In the late 60s there were some oddball scales around, slightly larger than 1/48th, maybe 1/43rd or 1/40th. Although it's probably 1/48th scale , it could be from someone like Aurora or Hawk for example. The transponder/radar housing seems odd - I wouldn't have thought it would be fitted to that aircraft type, especially if the decals and colour scheme for the kit are for the period as shown in the pic.

Reading through various material, I can only think that this model you are talking about was a trainer. Although I did find that the TBM-1 Avenger did have a varient with a radar configuration on the back as each of you are describing. I can't see the picture so I have to take your word for it that it is a Devastator. I'll keep looking.

Monogram definitely issued it first in 1/48 somewhere in the mid to late 70s. The first issue was packaged as in the picture, with a built up model as this was now the way everyone was going. I remember it being one of the most detailed kits available at that time. If I remember correctly, the original issue had a one piece canopy and later issues, the multiple piece one. To the best of my knowledge, the TBD never had radar, being retired well before it was being used. Maybe 'grandpa' added a little bit of extra plastic for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back