Nov 7, 2009 #1 B-17engineer Colonel 14,953 92 Joined Dec 9, 2007 Location Revis Island. Hi. Bought this in Gettysburg today. To add to my collection of ammo. Reads on the bottom. 20 MM MK4 1944. What would this be used for? Plane, antiaircraft gun etc. Attachments 102_5145.JPG 51.1 KB · Views: 207 102_5146.JPG 44.3 KB · Views: 214 102_5147.JPG 43.3 KB · Views: 204 Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
Hi. Bought this in Gettysburg today. To add to my collection of ammo. Reads on the bottom. 20 MM MK4 1944. What would this be used for? Plane, antiaircraft gun etc.
Nov 7, 2009 #2 Aaron Brooks Wolters Brigadier General 16,554 2,428 Joined Jul 28, 2007 Location Abingdon, VA. It looks to be a 20mm shell, but as for who made it I have no clue. The 20MMMK4 and the the 44 markings don't lend them to anything that I've seen but I'm no expert either.
It looks to be a 20mm shell, but as for who made it I have no clue. The 20MMMK4 and the the 44 markings don't lend them to anything that I've seen but I'm no expert either.
Nov 7, 2009 Thread starter #3 B-17engineer Colonel 14,953 92 Joined Dec 9, 2007 Location Revis Island. Thanks Aaron! Just realized the 20. Curious as to what used it and who made it so I can 'label' it
Nov 7, 2009 #4 Erich the old Sage 13,023 788 Joined May 20, 2004 Location Platonic Sphere just to let you know it is not German
Nov 7, 2009 Thread starter #5 B-17engineer Colonel 14,953 92 Joined Dec 9, 2007 Location Revis Island. Thanks! Are the British the only ones who use MK?
Nov 7, 2009 #6 Erich the old Sage 13,023 788 Joined May 20, 2004 Location Platonic Sphere it is machine-kanon in German but the marking was not put on the 2cm or 3cm Lw rounds
Nov 7, 2009 Thread starter #7 B-17engineer Colonel 14,953 92 Joined Dec 9, 2007 Location Revis Island. Oh. So its safe to say this is British?
Nov 7, 2009 #8 vikingBerserker Lieutenant General 28,790 4,633 Joined Apr 10, 2009 Location South Carolina I think US, used in the 20mm Oerlikon.
Nov 8, 2009 #9 fastmongrel 1st Sergeant 4,527 3,633 Joined May 28, 2009 Location Lancashire Have a look on the quarry nildram site of Tony Williams he has photos of 20mm ammo Untitled Document It looks like it could be the 20x110RB round from the Oerlikon Anti Aircraft gun
Have a look on the quarry nildram site of Tony Williams he has photos of 20mm ammo Untitled Document It looks like it could be the 20x110RB round from the Oerlikon Anti Aircraft gun
Nov 8, 2009 Thread starter #10 B-17engineer Colonel 14,953 92 Joined Dec 9, 2007 Location Revis Island. VB and fastmongrel I think your right! Thanks!!
Nov 15, 2009 #11 CharlesBronson Senior Master Sergeant 3,568 91 Joined Jan 11, 2005 Location Cordoba - Argentina Just in case I want to remember that the Oerlikon MK 4 was an AAA automatic cannon, not an aircraft machinegun. It was used mostly by the US navy.
Just in case I want to remember that the Oerlikon MK 4 was an AAA automatic cannon, not an aircraft machinegun. It was used mostly by the US navy.