Help - TBF Avenger Canopy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
Let this be a lesson to everyone, this is why you should not drink and model.

I built this while learning how to do canopies, (not that I even know how to now). I was not pleased with the end result which was painted enamel, and for reasons unknown to me, I took a sharpie marker and drew over the canopy frames and then dipped it in Future.

I hope this mishap does not get me removed from the forum, but is there anything I can do to salvage this model? It's an Academy 1/72, nothing special, but I was not terribly disappointed with the outcome other than the canopy.

Thanks gents,

Jon

Also, while I take the canopy off to hopefully repair it, I want to soften that demarcation line between the two blues under the canopy. I'll probably airbrush it free hand to blend it.

Attachments

• TBF Avenger 001.JPG
    TBF Avenger 001.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 81
Can't really see the problem in the pic, but if you want to remove the 'Future', let the canopy sit in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol for a while - the 'Future' should float off and can then be polished clean.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

The main problem is that it's black rather than dark sea blue like the upper part of the fuselage.

It's been bothering me for awhile now.

Ah! Then maybe either mask and re-paint, or, what might be easier, use painted tape for the frames. Lay down some 'Sellotape'-type clear tape, on a grease-free, smooth surface, and paint it the required colour. When fully dry, cut into strips of the desired width, and lay over the frames, pressing down as you go. Once satisfied, the tape can then be sealed with 'Future', and carefully touched-in with clear matt when dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back