Help to identify this German Aircraft... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucke.stz

Senior Airman
Apr 21, 2008
Brazil
www.spruemaster.com
Please, some help fellows....

identify.jpg

Going on the pictures in my trusty and well worn copy of German Aircraft of the Second World War, I'd say it's a Gotha Go 145 two seat biplane, what's left of it.

Feiseler Storch, anybody? I see segments of only two wings, not four, and the full span leading edge slats, wingtip and tail shapes, as well as the aft fuselage cross section spell Feiseler to me. The Storch's iconic ungainly landing gear would have been the first thing to hit the window sill and disintegrate, hence not obvious in the photo. The relative intactness of the airframe implies a slow airspeed as might be expected of a Storch. Possibly even survivable.

Looked at it again on my desktop with the big monitor, and I concur: GO-145. What I took to be a leading edge slat is apparently just a shadow and a highlight on the curved leading edge. The "bulge behind the rear cockpit" I took for a piece of debris behind the fuselage on my small screen is in fact the instructor pilot's headrest fairing.
BTW, does anyone know why so many small biplane trainers have swept back wings? (GO-145, Stampe, Tiger Moth, Jungman, etc) I've been told by a windy "expert" that it's to move the center of lift and center of gravity far enough aft to allow soloing from the front seat. Having sat in the back seat of a Moth, I can see why that would be desirable. Comments anybody?

A look at the intact fin and rudder would show conclusively that this is not a Fi 156 'Storch'.
I've only just seen this thread and, going on the same evidence of the intact fin and rudder, I'd agree with a Go 145.

One French source suggests that this may be Orleans.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back