Here me WHIIIIIIIIIINE!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok so there I was last saturday....

It was hot, 85 degrees or so, I was working outside on the house, digging holes, sawing wood, building a new fence......

It was around 3 pm, I was about pooped out, now what does this have to do with WW2 or WW2 aircraft?

Ok let me back up!

See I live out in the boonies, have a lil bit of land among some farmland, but there is a small grass strip about a mile, well its exactly 1.21 miles drivng distance from the homestead.

Its not like Ohare or something, well its not even like Midway, or even, well you get the picture! It's small! There are about 7 ultralights kept there with one Piper Cub, two Cessna 152s (non flyable at moment) and an Aeronica Chief(sp?).

Pretty much only has traffic on the weekends. Other than the usual military traffic to and from Chas AFB, I can pretty much tell who is flying if I happen to be out in the yard. There a two biplanes based at different airfields that usually visit most weekends. Oh yeah and we do have our share of cropdusters from time to time.

Oh yeah so what does this have to do with WW2 and WW2 aircraft?

So there I was, about to give up on the honey do list, when I heard a sound, a very familiar sound. Off in the distance, yep its a plane, hey and its climbing and diving from the sound of it. I went back to work as the sound faded, then it returned closer this time......

Climbing and diving, dang that sounds like a radial! Wait, the throttle backed off a bunch, and pop, pop, pop, bang! Then the motor revved up and a very distinct sound came to my ailing ears!

Is that, could it be? I dropped the shovel, ran to the back, jumped into the bed of the truck, strained my eyes looking thru the trees in the woods. I see a shape, YES IT IS!

I ran back to the house, grabbed the camera, tossed all the wood and tools from the truck, opened the drivin gate, moved the truck, closed the gate, HAULED ASS down the dirt road, hit the main highway, well lets say I hadn't drove that fast on a two lane in a long time! Left wife at back door, shaking her head, probably thinkin, what in the he...

Hit the airport road, them guys must of thought a crazy redneck lost his mind, seein that pickup closing on the main hanger with scary speeed!

I jumped out, all nasty, sweaty, dirty, scraggly lookin, with camera in hand, still huffing and pufffing!

Then I stopped and listened......no sound.......nothing......where did it go?

I waited and listened for a few minutes and finally walked up to the hanger.
A couple of guys standing around some ultralights, all strangers to me. I must of looked like a kook or something....

"Can we help you?" said one of em.

I said, "uh um did a T-6 just fly by here?"

they looked at each other, "Sure son, it was here allright!" and "He just left, he was giving rides for 100.00!"

I almost collapsed!

Then an old friend who happened to be in the hanger, heard us talking and walked out, GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR, "Guess what?"

I said "What?"

Mike said," and I flew it!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I replied, rather loudly!

"Take it ez, he will be back in May, and I bet he will give you a ride"

A day late and dollar short, dammit!:lol:

Its ok, I WILL GET A RIDE IN THAT T6 eventually!

For the record, I did fly in a SNJ4 about 2 years ago, but it was alot pricier, but still worth it!

but still.......

sorry I tend to get excited, when I hear that sound!

Here are some pics of the SNJ4,

ready_sm.jpg

turn_sm.jpg

Yes sir....that's a fact. Last weekend when the Collins Foundation was in town, their flight path always takes them directly (or close enough) over my house. Every time I heard those engines, I attempt to break my damn neck trying to get outside. My little wifey just laughs. She says, "Ya know, you've seen that plane 5 times today. How many times are you going to trip over the dog just to see it for 20 seconds?"

I just grin and say....."Every time."

Several years ago a friend called and told me his brother in law who was stationed at Cherry Point NC was flying up in a T-34A. He was in the Mrines and they had a couple in their flying club. He wanted to know if I wanted to fly with him. Hell yea. Back then I lived about a mile and and a half from the airport. He said to be there at some given time, I forget exactly when. Anyway went out to get in the car and go to the airport, it wouldn't start. Turned out a squirrel had gnawed throught the ignition wires. Fortunately my neighbor came over and helped me push it out of the way so I could get my truck out. Made it to the airport and loved every minute of the flight. Got a little stick time and was almost elated enough to forgive the squirrel.

Getting a flight in a Marine aircraft? It is actually illegal for a civilian to fly in a military aircraft without a generals approval. I know I allways tried to get flights for my friends in our units aircraft. Was not allowed. We even tried to do a family day where the wives would be allowed to get a joyride in our helicotpers. The only stipulation was that I could not fly the aircraft that my wife was on and so forth. The General would not approve of it.

Yes sir....that's a fact. Last weekend when the Collins Foundation was in town, their flight path always takes them directly (or close enough) over my house. Every time I heard those engines, I attempt to break my damn neck trying to get outside. My little wifey just laughs. She says, "Ya know, you've seen that plane 5 times today. How many times are you going to trip over the dog just to see it for 20 seconds?"

I just grin and say....."Every time."

Hear hear! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back