Hey I'm a new guy!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm amazed that Frank Whittle and Anselm Franz's work on centrifugal and axial jet engines in the late 1920's and the 1930's has evolved into a modern garage-science project using household tools and garbage.Thinking of how this compares to the decades of advances in material science and theoretical aeronautics that were invested to reach this point... The mind boggles. Welcome and please be careful, these things can be dangerous.

Welcome aboard. For those of you unable to see the pic's he posted, I'm re-posting them.
First pic is the outside, second is the inside.

Charles

Attachments

• Inside engine.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 83
  • outside engine.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 77
Hi J dog and welcome.
Is the coke can jet engine your own creation or are you working from existing plans ?
Wich fuel will it burn and how will it be injected? Is it an on/off or controled engine ?
Any idea of the expected thrust ?
Looks cool, I already love it, tell us more please !

Hi J dog and welcome.
Is the coke can jet engine your own creation or are you working from existing plans ?
Wich fuel will it burn and how will it be injected? Is it an on/off or controled engine ?
Any idea of the expected thrust ?
Looks cool, I already love it, tell us more please !

I am thinking it will burn caster oil (I don't know if that's how you spell it though) and am looking for a injector now and it is possibly going to have a tiny spark plug if not a match in the center but the match will have a hole or opening to be put in without the danger of flames coming out of the engine. To start the compressors I have a fast motor that might do the trick if not a drill. Finally I am making this by my own plans so I have no Idea what to expect until I complete it if it doesn't create much thrust, then it will just be there for showing.

Last edited:
View attachment 219316
View attachment 219317
These are two Images of the inside of the engine and the outside. The two things that are on the inside are stationary compressors that will compress air from a large fan-like turbine in the front. I am going to have the center which is all the main compressors removable if it gets overheated and starts to morph the shape because the metal of these except for the bottom is VERY thin. These two compressors will be holding the compressors and combustion chamber.

Little concerned about your terminology and design as described above. The compressor at the front of the engine (air inlet) is meant to be rotated by the hot gas expending through the turbine section located at the rear (exhaust) of the engine. The expanding hot gas turns the turbine as it passes through the restricted openings between the airfoil-shaped turbine blades. The flame holder/combustion chamber is located between the compressor (forward) and the turbine (aft). The fixed blades that may appear at the front of a rotating compressor are typically called stators.

Hi Oldcrow,
Ty for the links.
Yes, you are absoluty right concerning turbojet engines.
J dog just said : a jet engine, a term opening wide possibilties... so why not letting him experience his own project and maybe, talking us about ?
J dog : CastOr oil ?
The turbojet engines lubricant ?

Last edited:
woops wrong thing! I meant to say the lubricant is the oil and the fuel will be Kerosene. for some reason the computer didn't type that I think I accidentally clicked out of it.

Little concerned about your terminology and design as described above. The compressor at the front of the engine (air inlet) is meant to be rotated by the hot gas expending through the turbine section located at the rear (exhaust) of the engine. The expanding hot gas turns the turbine as it passes through the restricted openings between the airfoil-shaped turbine blades. The flame holder/combustion chamber is located between the compressor (forward) and the turbine (aft). The fixed blades that may appear at the front of a rotating compressor are typically called stators.

The combustion chamber will be located in the center. The exhaust I have already thought about and planned to drive the compressors and the stators will all compress the air so I have already planned everything out. I have most of the materials all I need is the fuel and the injector, so it is coming along. So I feel safe for now but you never know what to expect until everything happens because this by my own design but based off of others mistakes or findings.

The fixed blades that may appear at the front of a rotating compressor are typically called stators.

By fixed blades, I meant they don't rotate and so aren't 'driven.' The stators act to entrain the airflow through the compressor and don't appear to be a feature of most of the coke can jets I have seen on you tube. As Jack Hill says, this is your own design so figure it out but please be careful.

hellow folks I too am a new guy but an old timer Not many years younger than a spitfire mk 1. Airplane mad as soon as I could see them and a model maker since I could first cut and fold paper and cardboard. Ever see a javelin made of thin card big matches and wax. Yes it did fly very fast from hand launch as hard as possible. E-Zee Bilt and the like soon followed. Than all the other makes going. Made and flew every type free flight c/l r/c. Learned to fly gliders in cadets and hoped to go on to powered but it never happened Started courting . You know the rest.. Have a couple of items you might like to kick about Fist one I think that a goog oppotunity was lost with the Boulton Paul Defiant.with the turret off and forward firing armament would have been almost as good as the Spit Second one why were a number of planes dropped because the original engines were in short supply when in fact more powerful ones wre going spare .Whirlwind for example .Contracts &politics perhaps? Anyone know more about it? Cheers John

Cheers John and welcome to the forum! Thats a good question about the Defiant - good enough for a thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back