hey watch it dude !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think a groundcrew men could also tell many interesting stories about the planes they had to repair. How much damage they took, how difficult it was to get them ready for next flight, etc. etc. etc.

I am not a pilot for my Blackhawk but I know every sound she makes, I know how fast she can go, I know when the limits are being pushed to far. I love flying her and dont like flying other peoples, I feel safe in mine not in others.

A View From the Flight Line

Vast columns of words have been put to paper on the subject of aviation history, and especially that of the wide-ranging conflict of WWII. Few of these words make reference to the little matter of aircraft maintenance, or the aircraft mechanics. Hundreds of in-depth articles and books have poured forth on airplane types and unit histories, their writers going into great detail about the development problems and solutions, the designers, the test pilots and the test programs then into operational service, and the pilots who fly them. Most of the exhaustive tomes say nothing whatever about maintaining the birds once they are in squadron service.

Continues at: http://www.cebudanderson.com/viewfromtheline.htm

Enjoy,

=S=

Lunatic

Ya, the ground crews had much invested all nighters I heard where one of the top pilots just wondered to his crew chief if his P-51 (in camo) would be better if it was clean bare metal at about 5 or 6pm. When he came out at 6:00 the next morning the crew chief was just finish polishing the brite shiney clean plane for that days mission.

Art Heiden tells about his crew cheif still a close personal friend and the work he did in the war. His crew cheif got a bronze star because Art's plane a P-38 never lost an engine in over 300 hrs of combat missions at a time when engine problems were common.

The Memphis Bell had (I think I caught this in passing on a documentary) 2 wings, 9 engines 1 tail groupe and a whole slew of other pieces replaced before she made her 25 missions.

Without a good ground crew no one flies!

Whenever we go someplace and are performing high optemp operations or combat operations we have a day crew and a night crew for ground maintenance as well as flight crews. That way now crew member or maintenance worker has to work all nighters and such. They are assigned 12 hour shifts and then you hand it over to the next shift. It works out quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back