Hi, from Germany

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. Im 32 Years old and living in Northern Germany.
I served 8 Years in the German Airforce (Tactical Reconnaissance Wing 51 in Jagel, and no, i was no Pilot) and was as long as i can think fascinated by Airplanes.
My English is not the best but i learn with every written word...:oops:
I like this Website because theres such a overwhelming amount of information here.

Acerus

P.S.: My Grandfather was Radar Operator on a Me110 Nightfighter, stationed at Dortmund. I tried to talk with him about this time to get more Informations. Sadly he doesn´t want to talk much about it.

Hallo,
ich komme auch aus Norddeutschland - Hannover. Welcome aboard

War 3 jahre als Reservist bei der 3. LwDiv - jetzt Heer

Thomas

Thanks to all the welcome!
I was talking to my Grandfather(03.09.10) about his expiriences during WW2.
Sadly my Grandfather won´t tell me more as i already know!
Everytime i asked him about that.... he was some kind of "far away" .
I stopped asking him. History passes us by, but there are only few talking about
what happened!
Hope you People are not disappointed about that!

Hi Acerus my uncle was in bomber command and he didnt talk about it either. However my father only talked about the war really once. I made a model of a spitfire (airfix 1/24 scale) which had a powered propellor. He laughed when he saw it and said the propellor was going the wrong way, he had seen spitfires but in the far east which no doubt had Griffon engines which turned the other way. After a bit of an argument he actually told me a bit of what he saw/did then after a week clammed up again.

I worked in germany for a while, the best way to get them to talk was to have a drink ha ha ha
I used to drink and sing sea shanties with a group of ex WWII seamen in Germany....what a laugh they were....problem is I cant remember much of what we talked about.

With most vets I have seen on TV and in person when remembering the war they remember friends they have lost. It is sad but weve got to respect it.

Wilkomme Acerus

ask him this and that is it from me as I had a cousin I never met who was Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 5 as a pilot flying Bf 110G-4 killed in December of 1943

1. what staffel and what Nachtjageschwader was he in ?
2. who was his pilot, and he may have had more than one ?
3. when did he serve in the staffel/NJG ? what years

He should be ale to give you this info without problem and then we can go from there, I will tell you there is more researchable materials out now than 10 years ago, so with that said don;t give up.

machs gut!

Erich ~

acerus,
Guten tag, mittag, abend, oder nacht. Meine Leute kamen aus dem sudlichen Deutchland
ich war Fallschirmjager bei der Special Forces Vietnam
Ich habe noch ein Deutsch Fallschirmjager Abzeichen
mike

Your grandfathers story would be very interesting, but like my father and grandfather, they wouldn't talk about their service. Unfortunately they passed and their stories went with them.

Wilkomme Acerus

ask him this and that is it from me as I had a cousin I never met who was Gruppenkommandeur of II./NJG 5 as a pilot flying Bf 110G-4 killed in December of 1943

1. what staffel and what Nachtjageschwader was he in ?
2. who was his pilot, and he may have had more than one ?
3. when did he serve in the staffel/NJG ? what years

At first: Thanks to all the nice People here for the welcome! I wasn´t here for some time. Sorry for that!:oops:
To Erich:
I will try to ask him that Questions. But in my last Phonecall with him he doesn´t want to talk about it.

As Time moves on I hope to get that Informations from him as i (as his Grandson) want to know Everything about his Time during WW2.
One Thing (which i missunderstood) i can say is that he wasn´t Radaroperator but Radiooperator.
He was flying onboard Ju 88 and the Bf 110 Nightfighter.
Erich, you can believe my that i am as interested as yours in the Details.
I will provide Information soon, or not. Depending on my Skills to bring Grandpa to open up.

Thanks to the Great Folks here!

Acerus

Hallo,
ich komme auch aus Norddeutschland - Hannover. Welcome aboard

War 3 jahre als Reservist bei der 3. LwDiv - jetzt Heer

Thomas

Sorry Guys i switch the Language for some time:

Hallo, tango35 oder Thomas?
Schön jemanden hier zu treffen der auch gedient
hat und hier unterwegs ist!
3/Luftwaffendivision wurde glaube ich aufgelöst bevor ich eingezogen wurde.
Mitte 90er? Wo hast Du Ursprünglich Deine aktive Zeit gehabt? Wäre echt interessant!
Alles Gute nach Hannover!

Acerus

I talked to my Gradfather today and he was in a mood to tell me some things.

He served from August to November 1944 in the 1./NJG 2 flying aboard an JU88 as Radiooperator.
His Homebase was Weimar-Nohra.
He told me that they had a an Eqipment with which it was possible to track the rearward warning Radar of British Lancasters. So they sneaked upon them and shoot them down.
He was speaking of a 10% lossrate for the British Bombers.
But also he said what a mess this war was. " The People i helped shoot down where as young as i was. It was an outrage to our Generation."

My Gradfather served already in another Unit (after November ´44) but doesn´t want to talk about it on Phone.

Sadly my Grandfather isnt doing so well, he goes in an home for the aged in 1 Month. He can´t
walk stairs etc.
Also i can´t confirm that everything is correct...its been 66 Years since them, maybe his memory is not correct.
If i hear anything new i will post it here.

regards

That´s what he told me: 1 Staffel of the NJG 2. But he could not tell me a Pilots Name.

I shall see if I can find anything relevent in "The Nachtjagd War Diaries" by Dr Theo Boiten for that time frame.

I might be wrong but it's possible Rokker is still alive.

Last edited:
Hi Acerus,
I'm late for a wellcome I know. Sorry overlooked this thread. You say your father was a radio-radar operator in a german nightfigther and dosen't want to talk much about this time. Mine was building Ju 87 and Ju 88 at Dessau.
He too wasen't to happy talking about the war. Think they had enough of it.
Will you come to the Lübeck model fair in 2012? I'm a regular exhibitor there. Would be nice to meet you there!

A pic of my father in a Ju 86 under repair. He's the guy with the hat.

Ju 86-01.jpg.jpg

Thanks for the welcome!

@fam43: interersting Photo and background about your Father!
Regarding the Model Fair: That would be interesting though i must confess that im not really in building Models.
Try it 2-3 Times but my biggest Problem is that i am not patient enough for that kind of work.
Maybe sometime i will try again. But to gaze at some good build Models would be great.

Regarding the Informations i just received from my Grandfather:

I try to make some research on the Internet but didnt find much.
It seems that the Airbase at Weimar Norah was mainly used as a Training Airfield. And
the available Infos about the NJG2 doesn´t mention the Airfield as a Base for them.
My Grandfather also mentioned the Airfield at Erfurt Bindersleben which is only 30 km West of Norah.
Maybe someone has more Infos.

@Maximowitz: I thinking about purchasing your mentioned Book (The Nachtjagd War Diaries by Dr Theo Boiten).
Is it worth the money?

@Maximowitz: I thinking about purchasing your mentioned Book (The Nachtjagd War Diaries by Dr Theo Boiten).
Is it worth the money?

It's a two volume set, absolutely essential. Expensive but worth every single penny. It is due to be reprinted in 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back