Hi, Need help identifying pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jillian

Recruit
Mar 3, 2013
I am working on a research project, and cannot determine what type of planes these are. I am not a WW2 enthusiastic, but have had fun looking through image gallery after image gallery - but I'm tired and can't be certain about either. Can anyone help?

One has Canadian flag on it, but I can't seem to find evidence of that insignia beings used by RCAF. Not sure what the 4 or checkered part on the tail means.
The other, all I can tell is it's USA.

Thought I'd check with some experts!
Thanks for any help.
Jillian
WWII4.jpg
WWII12.jpg

Hi Jillian, welcome aboard.

The first is a Bf 109G-10, and that's not a Canadian marking, but Croation.

The 2nd is a PBY-5(?) Catalina.

The first pic almost looks like a model.

Last edited:
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 in the first photo is a G-14/AS of the Croatian Air Force which, during WW2 was allied to the Luftwaffe. Black 4, flown by Vladymir Sandtner defected to an American airfield in Italy in April 1945. More photos, information and colour images:

CroatBf109G-14.gif

YugoslavBf109G-14b.gif

YugoslavBf109G-14a.gif

(from Captured Me 109s; Jacek Jackiewicz and Mirosław Wawrzyński ; Atelier Kecay, 2007, pages 127-129)

Hi,

There my three cents .... The Bf in the first pic is Bf109G14/AS of the 2 Jato, 1 Zarakoplovna Luka Zagreb. The pic was taken by airmen of 321BG(M) in 1945 at Falconara airfield Italy. On April the 16th 1945 two Bf109G14s flown by Sgt. Josip Cekovic and Vladimir Sandtner landed at the Jasi and Falconara airfields. The "black 4" ( Croatian number 2104) was flown by Sgt. V.Sendtner and landed at the second airfirld. The aircraft has all charakteristic features of late G14/AS version produced by Mtt: a long gear of a tail wheel, a big oil cooler Fo 897,the engine was DB 605AS- its slot of a "cold" engine starting is below the hole for a manual start engine crancle, small bulged fairings on wings and some others. According to my infos the Bf wore the factory applied RLM81/75/76 camo pattern that was touched up by the Croatians with the following coloures RLM70- cross area on the left fuselage side, RLM71- the band on rear part of fuselage,RLM04 quick ID elements ( rudder and the band on front part of fuselage),RLM65- previous German markings.Another source says that the camo pattern was RLM74/83 on upper surfaces, RLM76 lower ones,the fin - RLM81 with RLM83 spots with sharp edges,band on rear part of fuselage - probably RLM71 or 81, quick ID like above and the RLM04 on wingtips on undersides..
Later the Bf was used by 318 Polish Squadron with standard RAF markings and additional Polish.Some additional infos here : http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/polish-bf-109-a-669.html

2811.jpg

The check board shield is an Croatian national amblem, though today's version has "U" letter above it omitted ("U" stands for "Ustashi" a WW2 Croatian criminal nationalist movement) and red/white squares reversed then the WW2 version. The national insignia on wings and fuselage as seen in these pictures was introduced on Croatian aircraft in January 1945 and is known as "Zvonimir's Cross".

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Croatian, that makes sense. Wasn't even thinking about that because the maple leaf was stuck in my head.

Can't believe I spent HOURS looking at pics and documents online, and ya'll answered me in no time.
Should've done this days ago.

If you ever have questions about contemporary art, let me know! haha

Rothko was meditative, colors were emotions.
Pollock was all about action.
Personally, I like Rothko more than Pollock, but I like Pollock's wife (Lee Krasner) the most.
Too bad she was taking care of her mess of a husband too much to have a big career of her own.

Just to add to Dave's (VB's), the Catalina is actually a PBY-5A. The PBY-5 (and identical PB2B-1) were pure flying boats, sans undercarriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back