Hitler's lost sub

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This part part really stuck with me. Can you imagine anything like this taking place on America's shore?

GORDON VAETH (US Navy Intelligence): And this went on all the time. Bodies and wreckage. And oil was constantly coming ashore—down the coast as far as Florida.

I never heard or thought about anything like that happening on US soil. Really make you think.

The really wild thing about that time in the war was how many ships were sunk off the East Coast of the US in the period from Jan 12, 1942 to June 30 of the same year. Something like 350 to 400 ships. And the event is relatively unknown.

To put it in perspective, Pearl Harbor resulted in something like 8 US ships sunk. Operation Drumbeat (the Kriegsmarine name for the attack) accrued those results in a couple of days and it went on for 6 months. Granted, Pearl Harbor resulted in Warships being sunk whereas the East Coast attack was almost all merchantmen, but the numbers are awesome.

There are a few web sites that show the locations of the ships that were sunk. Most of them were broken up after the war as hazards to navigation. They were sunk in relatively shallow water. Unfortunately, I can't remember the location of the web sites but they are dive sites and not history sites.

I remember reading that we didn't blackout the major cities right away either.
The light from them silohuetted the outbound ships perfectly which aided the U-boats in their task.

Cool site GG.

Wheels

I remember reading that we didn't blackout the major cities right away either.
The light from them silohuetted the outbound ships perfectly which aided the U-boats in their task.

Yeah, local Mayors thought it would affect the tourist business. Didn't want them off as they thought a darkened city would not attract tourist. So the lights stayed on.

It did attract a lot of Germans.

I thought i was a very intresting read, and I just spent the last 30 minutes reading it. I am glad that they found it and its another sub that has finally made it back home (so to say). May all the family's of the lost crew members finally be able to heal knowing that their family members have come home.

This part part really stuck with me. Can you imagine anything like this taking place on America's shore?

GORDON VAETH (US Navy Intelligence): And this went on all the time. Bodies and wreckage. And oil was constantly coming ashore—down the coast as far as Florida.

I never heard or thought about anything like that happening on US soil. Really make you think.

If you're ever in this neck of the woods, the NC Maritime museum in Morehead City covers this generally, and the sinking of U-352 specifically. Worth the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back