HMS Hood in '39....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah the low freeboard aft did nothing to help keep her dry. Although the little side wheelers were pretty slick and at about the 3:30 mark it seems Jellicoe's old flagship H.M.S. Iron Duke makes an appearance serving as a gunnery training ship. That was an unexpected treat. Great vid, great find.

Yeah the low freeboard aft did nothing to help keep her dry. Although the little side wheelers were pretty slick and at about the 3:30 mark it seems Jellicoe's old flagship H.M.S. Iron Duke makes an appearance serving as a gunnery training ship. That was an unexpected treat. Great vid, great find.

The poop/stern in HMS Hood certainly feels like too close of the water.

This image shows part of why Hood was a "very wet ship": her stern deck sat low in the waterline, which was only compounded by her 860 feet length, when pitching into the sea!

Seeing as how we are revisiting ancient threads lately, I watched the video in this one again and it struck me, this is footage from eighty (80) years ago...

I remember when WWII was still fresh in our collective conscience and the guys that fought it were young and in their prime, basically my dad and his brothers were the ones I'm thinking of. Now all gone, with the exception of my one remaining uncle who was a tail gunner on a B-17, still going at 98.

But wow, the passage of time, it's still hard to believe when you watch that vid that it's eighty years ago, man, am I feeling old today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back