HobbyBoss 1/72 P-47 P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

LA2019

Airman 1st Class
Jan 11, 2009
Finished up my two last kits of 2011. Hobbyboss' 1/72 P-47D P-51D. Nice clean kits for the money.

Both kits were built out of the box with the addition of pilots and PropBlurs. My intention was to build both with gear up. The P-51 came out Ok while the P-47 gave me some problems. The wheel doors would not fit properly. So, I just the installed the landing gear as if it were going up (or down, I suppose?) I like the look; it doesn't feel static.

I hand painted the P-51 with Modelmaster aluminum while the P-47 was spray painted with Krylon aluminum. I was actually suprised how nice the Krylon looked.

Fun builds.....

Happy New Year everyone!!!

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

IMG_5568a.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

Love the mustang. What shade of green did you use on the spinner and were the star and bar faded or painted a lighter shade?

Thanks...Geo

Geo, the green I used is Testors Green #1124. The stars bars I used were the ones provided with the kit which are a lighter shade. The markings (according to the instructions) were from a P-51 used in the Pacific Theatre campaign; maybe Pacific marking were different from European markings???

ken

2nd time posting in this thread, so I'll say again, excellent work!

I forgot to ask my first time around about the kits, are those the Easy Build Hobby Boss kits? My only experience with Hobby Boss is an Easy Build. If it is not, how are the kits overall?

Thanks,

Jon

Geo, the green I used is Testors Green #1124. The stars bars I used were the ones provided with the kit which are a lighter shade. The markings (according to the instructions) were from a P-51 used in the Pacific Theatre campaign; maybe Pacific marking were different from European markings???

ken
Thanks Ken.I have the green and I have the mustang and I just might have the stars that I was going to throw away thinking that they were screwed up....future build.

Geo

2nd time posting in this thread, so I'll say again, excellent work!

I forgot to ask my first time around about the kits, are those the Easy Build Hobby Boss kits? My only experience with Hobby Boss is an Easy Build. If it is not, how are the kits overall?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, both kits were the easy build kits. Those are the only Hobbyboss kits I have built to date. I do have an A-7 from Hobbyboss that is not an easy build kit.
I'll be building that kit in the near future.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back