Hobbycraft 1/48 Tomahawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Hi guys, I built this using no aftermarket items except for the Kits-world decals which strangely only had Chinese national insignia. The kit fit together very well apart from a couple of minor pieces, although one of the props was about 3mm longer than the others!
The weathering is a mix of pre and post shading and paint chipping using a scouring pad dipped in silver.

Attachments

• tom lower.jpg
    tom lower.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 152
  • tom quarter.jpg
    tom quarter.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 165
  • tom right.jpg
    tom right.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 158
  • tom top.jpg
    tom top.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 153
I see what you mean although there is a joint there on the real thing, but yes perhaps too pronounced.
Anyway thanks for the comments.

Very well done. Question, was the dark earth not carried into the aft window bays? I've always wondered that as I have seen it done with the cammo carried in, the basic sand kept in and the aft bays painted zinch chromate, grey or black.
Tomahawk_112_sqn_GA_O.jpg
tomohawk1.jpg
tomohawk2.jpg

Attachments

• curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg
    curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I thinkl the question is when these rear windows were attached to a plane. Before the camo was applied or just after that. If these windows were mounted before the final finishing was done these might have been either of the cockpit green or the primer Yellow Zinc Chromate. I don't think any member of maintenece crews or the Curtiss' factories would be willing to dismount them for re-painting etc...

Actually I just went by the painting guide in the Kits-world decal set, and that showed sand in the windows. It isn't easy finding colour pics of this particular aircraft unfortunately.

Far as I know, they left the factory in (Curtis)Interior Green, but were often painted in the camouflage colours in the field, to tone down the contrast in colours. I believe the rear windows could easily be unclipped, like the P-51B/C.

Agree with Terry. I read that somewhere when i was doing my Edwards Kittyhawk. Even then there were variations within a squadron. See below.

Attachments

• HS B 2.jpg
    HS B 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back