Hopes high that restored B-29 ‘Doc’ will fly in 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex .

Airman 1st Class

Hopes high that restored B-29 'Doc' will fly in 2014 | Wichita Eagle

The proper way of restoring an aircraft, taking a lot of time and work to get everything perfect. Unlike the one those chaps destroyed 'bodge jobbing' on Greenland.

...The proper way of restoring an aircraft, taking a lot of time and work to get everything perfect. Unlike the one those chaps destroyed 'bodge jobbing' on Greenland.
In all fairness, the salvage/recovery of the "Kee Bird" wasn't a restoration, it was intended to get the B-29 out of the harsh Arctic climate and back to where she could be actually cleaned up.

Unlike the B-17s and P-38s that landed on a glacier that eventually swallowed them up, the "Kee Bird" landed near a lake in a different area that didn't see her get buried under snow. The recovery attempts were dictated by nasty weather conditions that forced them to work quickly, improvise and make numerous attempts over a period of time. They also had to borrow from existing collections to get her airworthy.

As luck would have it, the "Kee Bird" would have made it out, if it wasn't for the fuel spill that ignited and destroyed her.

My views on it echoed on another website after I'd watched the documentary

They rushed it and made a hash out of the attempt. There's a P-38 by where I study in Harlech, North Wales, which was discovered years ago. It's been left there, despite the risks to it, as it's future would be uncertain once recovered. That's what should have been done to this B-29 IMO.

Well, there's always risks involved in any recovery. Especially in harsh climates or dangerous settings.

Just imagine what people would have said if the Do17 recovery went afoul (fuselage breaking, slipping it binders and resettling, etc.), the people would have been unforgiving. Same goes for the Fw190 recovered recently or any tricky salvage operation.

When they succeed, they're demi-gods and heros but when they fail, they're idiots, bungling fools and mouth-breathers

Exactly and even now, 70+ years later, we're still having great discoveries:

P-40 in Libya, Do17 off the British coast, Me323 off the coast of Greece, another B-17 home from the Pacific (Swamp Ghost) and the list goes on!

Looking forward to seeing Doc form up with FiFi for a flight (or a dozen)!

The chaps who bodged-jobbed it on Greenalnd did that on purpose for the insurance money. They figured out they could not make money off it and burned it down. Greenameyer could have rescued it but didn't have the money to sustain it until a profit could be made, and elected the next best choice. Otherwise there was NO reason to even mess with a volatile heater that hadn't run in 50 years. Easy alternate heat provisions could have been made cheaply. I have a cheap heater at my workbench that could have been used and it doesn't burn.

That's the story I get from people who knew the group for years and their credibility is VERY good.

I hadn't heard of the Greek Me323 before.

There is a P-38 buried near to where I study, in Harlech. Hopefully it'll be recovered soon The ghost rises: Ambitious plan to salvage WW2 Lightning fighter from sea off Welsh coast | Mail Online

Wasn't the offending pyro device a gasoline powered generator? There's a similar story about the F-104 with the reluctant landing gear that had to be abandoned in flight. This was after the speed record was established.

The F104 was for insurance, Greg, the Keebird wasn't insured and was a total loss financially to the investors and the people/institutions that loaned equipment...

Users who are viewing this thread