HORSEUSA MIA FOR 1 YEAR

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My crawler script can make a backup of all textual content as long as it's s available.
But we should not worry. Horse is always missing and the site is still there.
Don't worry, Horse only drops by once every 2 to 3 years. It's normal and the forum survived.

Basically this sums it up, its still working all the same for the most part...

Seriously....when was the last time the forum had, or needed an upgrade/update?
Most thinking about GB threads here (as that's the most noticeable thing for me), but every time I get back here, I pretty much expect to find it not working and I'm getting rather fed up with that in all honesty, this is not how to run a site like this....must admit that there's been a couple of times, I've been ready to call it quits....

Where the f..k are you Horse?

The underlying Forum software by XenForo is close to current. So someone is applying updates. But as mentioned a lot of normal maintenance work is going begging for lack of anyone having admin access to the necessary areas. Don't know what the answer is but someone does need to be in the pilots seat, autopilot will only take it so far.

My $0.02. It is his site so I understand holding the reins close, as it were, BUT, there HAS to be at least ONE of you (mods) he trusts enough to give full access to the site.

My $0.02. It is his site so I understand holding the reins close, as it were, BUT, there HAS to be at least ONE of you (mods) he trusts enough to give full access to the site.

The problem is that he will not communicate with us.

I am going to talk with the orher mods/admin and see what options we might have to relocate in order to save the forum.

Haven't a clue about how a site operates and maybe you've already tried this but is there a way to contact XenForo and explain the situation. God forbid that something dire has happened to Horse but it would be great if you Mods could gain some more control

Something to consider, for instance I would be happy to pay for a domain for a couple of years. We could find a hosting agency there are lots to choose from. We could either do a voluntary donation or even perhaps a small subscription type venture to generate the necessary revenue. Or failing that I would be willing to bet just because of the reputation of this site we could get a couple manufacturers or retailers to donate to the cause?

To move existing content would require the cooperation of the site owner and admin database and file system access. The only other option would be one at a time kind of things and that is just not practical.

The problem is that he will not communicate with us.

I am going to talk with the orher mods/admin and see what options we might have to relocate in order to save the forum.
That will be a big step and I don't know if it would be a good one.
Getting a forum started is hard, especially to get a momentum as this site has. This site evolved over the many years it existed and in the early days, forums did not have many competitors. Nowadays you would have to compete with facebook and other social media. Forums are just not as popular as 15 years ago. Also, how do you explain the existence of two similar sites to new users? I'm afraid it would divide the potential user-base which is already smaller than it was in 2003.

Copying the data on this site will be difficult and I don't know if it is legal to do so. But there are ways to do that without access to the backend. I've already shown this little crawler I made a few months ago that can mine the textual data of the site. Something for the media content can be created as well. If the moderators decide to do this, I will be happy to help, but keep in mind this will be a major task, taking months to perfect. Passwords for users is the biggest problem as they are hashed and salted. They would have to be created as new, which should be communicated to the users.

Last edited:
That will be a big step and I don't know if it would be a good one.
Getting a forum started is hard, especially to get a momentum as this site has. This site evolved over the many years it existed and in the early days, forums did not have many competitors. Nowadays you would have to compete with facebook and other social media. Forums are just not as popular as 15 years ago. Also, how do you explain the existence of two similar sites to new users? I'm afraid it would divide the potential user-base which is already smaller than it was in 2003.

Copying the data on this site will be difficult and I don't know if it is legal to do so. But there are ways to do that without access to the backend. I've already shown this little crawler I made a few months ago that can mine the textual data of the site. Something for the media content can be created as well. If the moderators decide to do this, I will be happy to help, but keep in mind this will be a major task, taking months to perfect. Passwords for users is the biggest problem as they are hashed and salted. They would have to be created as new, which should be communicated to the users.

I will talk with you more.

My vote would be to somehow contact Horse and have full control moved to the existing admins. A new forum is a lot of work and there is a lot of history here that even if moved would break google search results etc. Happy to do whichever and help with it as well. But would really love it if we could just get the access we needed right here.

Lack of communication is only a problem IF Horse is the only one allowed to hold the reins. There are legions of "absentee owners" and that is not a problem UNLESS they are the only ones allowed to make decisions. It's not my decision to make but were it mine, I see no problem in giving one of the Mods'Admin (who is willing) the control and observe what they do. If they fork-up somehow replace and try someone else.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back