How good dogfighter was the Mosquito? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1642213552507.png

Not really sure as I`m not a pilot, but I do know that I was stunned to find out the Mosquito shot down V1s.

Looking at my list of "claims", I`d say about 40% were Ju88`s or 188`s, 30% Me110`s/210s/410s, and the rest a mix of all sorts (lots of He111`s and Do217`s), there are a FEW
109`s and 190s in the air, but I`d guess from a scroll down the EXCEL sheet you`re talking 1%, and probably only when surprised or when carrying bombs and droptanks.

Not really sure as I`m not a pilot, but I do know that I was stunned to find out the Mosquito shot down V1s.

Looking at my list of "claims", I`d say about 40% were Ju88`s or 188`s, 30% Me110`s/210s/410s, and the rest a mix of all sorts (lots of He111`s and Do217`s), there are a FEW
109`s and 190s in the air, but I`d guess from a scroll down the EXCEL sheet you`re talking 1%, and probably only when surprised or when carrying bombs and droptanks.
I think a lot of the Mosquito claims against all those other twins occurred during night ops against Luftwaffe night fighters. I agree that some of these claims were against aircraft that "never saw it coming" or couldn't accelerate away.

I was too, the advantages the Mosquito had were that at night you could see a V1 before it took off with that plume of flames and its 4 fuselage cannon were ideal for bringing them down.

From the flight reports I have many were brought down in daylight by diving to intercept.

One navigator found his pilots method to be fairly hair raising - dive down and cut across the front of the V1 so
the turbulence would send it out of control.

From the flight reports I have many were brought down in daylight by diving to intercept.

One navigator found his pilots method to be fairly hair raising - dive down and cut across the front of the V1 so
the turbulence would send it out of control.
Had the said navigator been sat in a Mosquito when a V1 blew up? I dont know which would raise hair the most or the highest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back