How many "V" tails entered production?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Was wracking my brain tonight trying to get to sleep and I was trying to answer the following: Are the Beech Bonanza and the Fouga Magister the only two aircraft to enter production with a "V" tail?

Good calls guys! The UAV has the inverted V-tail GG, btw.

I seem to remember other types with them...need to check up on some sources about that. Offhand the He 162 would 'almost' fit into the category, although technically, she was a double tailed with V-form tailplanes..

Not counting the gap between the tailplanes , the YF-23 might almost fit the category too....

How could I have missed the F-117? :oops: Thanks for that one!

And I'll give you the "Black Widow II" A4K. I was thinking of one set of control surfaces that do the work of two. Another good one - that's thinking outside the box, BUT sadly it did not enter production... I always thought it looked the better of the two.

Last edited:
I know it did not reach production, but I never heard of a v-tailed Me 109.

http://rareaircraf1.greyfalcon.us/picturese/g309.jpg

Anybody else ever heard of this??
The Germans had been playing with V tail concepts for a while. Even the Me262 and He162 had conceptual designs with a V tail. The next step for the Me262 was to have the engines moved into the wings and a V tail at the end of a slightly lengthened fuselage.

No surprise though, the V tail was first done by a Polish engineer back in the 30's.

The F-117 and UAV aircraft like the Global Predator have 'em...

I think the Global Hawk has an inverted V tail...or it might be the other way around.

the Predator's got an inverted V-tail. and the Hawk's got an upright one.

I never heard of the Robin ATL. Interesting "kite", even had forward swept wings. Hey, that may be another thread...Ju 287, X-29, Robin Atl, Hansa jet(?). Perhaps for another sleepless night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back