How to paint a canopy?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

slaterat

Senior Airman
Feb 24, 2008
Calgary
Whats the best tecnique you guys have found to paint a canopy. Its one area I would like to improve, and one that i have never been satisfied with, as it really affects the finished product.

Slaterat

I've always masked them off. Some times, like with the canopy of my Stuka,
it took several tapings and several painting to finish the job. If you look at
Wayne Little's thread on his FW-190, you'll see he masks it off, then paints.

Edit: I do use a small brush, after masking...

Charles

To yourself
and anyone else on here who's into the modelling scene as more than a passing interest, there's this site:

Large Scale Planes - LSP

though I'm pretty sure one or two of you must know of its existence already. A lot of seriously expert modellers on there. It's global too, so probably one or two of them native to you and with a bit of luck, even the same city.

Whats the best tecnique you guys have found to paint a canopy. Its one area I would like to improve, and one that i have never been satisfied with, as it really affects the finished product.

Slaterat

I agree with all here , masking is very nice way to paint a cockpit conopy.What is more , no matter if you use a brush or an airbrush for painting.Simply mask with masking tape these areas of a conopy you don't want to have painted and then paint.

I use masking varnish. It´s a green liquid stuff that becomes something like thin rubber after dab. So you mask only the area you won´t paint with it and after few minutes you can paint the frame of the cab. After drying out the final painting you remove the masking stuff very easy perhabs by nail. I´d post a picture of this stuff but forgot my camera at my parents:cry:

Nice you have mentioned it Roman :D. Yes..., there are offered some liquids like it is depicted above.One of the well known is the "Maskol" of Humbrol.Also Gunze Sagyo offers similar one.

Wurger or Wayne, how well do those masking liquids work? I've taped before and sometimes its a pain - leakage and glue left on. I also used pre-cut tape that fits exactly onto the canopy bt that doesn't do well either. I was goning to try this liquid I have and was wondering if anyone else has used it.

Wurger or Wayne, how well do those masking liquids work? I've taped before and sometimes its a pain - leakage and glue left on. I also used pre-cut tape that fits exactly onto the canopy bt that doesn't do well either. I was goning to try this liquid I have and was wondering if anyone else has used it.

Chris, these liquids can be applied with both a brush and toothpicks for example.There shouldn't be any problem with applying unless these liquids are out of term. As a result the dry Maskol is like a rubbery skin which is very easy to remove.Also you can mix the masking tape and Maskol for instance.Here you are an example of it.Source unknown...
The violet on the model is a Maskol liquid.Notice please, that at the front area of the fuselage thin strips of masking tape made the main shape of Hartmann's tulip but the space between them was filled with Maskol.In the same way cockpit conopies can be masked.I'm sure you catch it.
I would like to pay your attention to the way of making the wing crosses.

Attachments

• model Bf109G masking.jpg
    model Bf109G masking.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 302
For Maskol using there is no need to get a licence Jan.:lol:

It's a while since I've used 'Maskol' (must get some more), but it does work well. The good thing about canopy masking with it (most, anyway), is thatyou can coat the whole canopy, then just cut-out and remove the frame areas. Paint, let it dry, then peel off the 'Maskol'. Simple!
If you can't get Maskol', or a similar product, you can use PVA, only just slightly thinned with water. But try it on a piece of scrap first, to check it's not too thinned. Use in the same way as 'Maskol'.

The question seems to have been well covered Chris....I used the maskol stuff years ago worked ok, I just prefer the masking!...works for me!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back