How to resize a pic with Irfanview

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK. Let's start.Follow the exercise please.

Start your Irfanview program and open a pic you want to resize, if the program is your main picture browser click twice the pic directly.

The pic should appear in the main Irfanview window.Then hit these keys together please "Ctrl and R". Of course without these comas.
The new small window should be opened.

Go and raport what you achieved, please.

Last edited:
tried that ithink there must be somthing wrong with the program still not working resizing ok but not saving .BB

Tell me if you opened the small window I had mentioned above, please.If yes tell me what there is in the window.

OK. Look at the right site.There should be two buttons "A half" and "Double". If you click the first button you'll get a pic resized down at a half but if you click the Double one you'll get the pic enlarged twice.Below these buttons there are switches and ready to use sizes for some standard ones. Now look at the left side.There is ,following from the top, info about current size, slightly below there should be two lines where you can change the pic dimensions.Left is for width and the right one for height.Both values should be in pixels.Below these lines there ahould be three switches for the chain change ( pixels/cm/inches).Pixels option is correct and should be set. Let me know if you have there the same options as me here.

Ok Guys :D

I have made a very little video with an "how-to" resize Images with irfanview
I will post the link here for download (it´s just 1 MB in size)

Hope it helps a little

Maybe a Mod can put it in the "right" section... It seems not only BB have problems how to resize:D:D

download (hosted on TurboShare)

Please take the second file.. Turboshare add some stupid game in each download.....

Old thread but IrfanView is still with us. :)

Using IrfanView - is there a way of drawing a line through an object and then create a sort of mirror image?
I'm trying to create a full top and bottom view from a "split" plan view. Is it possible?

Cheers.

Split.jpg

Yes it is possible. However it would be better to use a graphic soft that allows to work with layers.. e.g .. the Photoshop. Just the soft is more accurate at editing,rotating etc...

Here you are ....

Hit the F12 key for opening of the Paint tools at the side bar. You will find there a tool for drawing of a line ( you can set its thickness , colour ) and of a couple more too. Just a matter of checking what these and how work.

obraz1.jpg

Because the Irfanview is a pic broweser basically you have to make your profile in a couple of steps in order to get the final effect.

First of all you have to check if the profile is scanned vertically. If you use the drawing line tool from the bar you will notice whether it is set vertically or not. However I would suggest to mark a half of the pic with the tool for clipping that will show the current setting. As you may see your profile isn't scanned vertically because the datum line doesn't follow the right line of the marked area for cutting. It is much quicker way of finding out of that IMHO.

obraz2.jpg

Using the Rotate tool from the side bar to correct that ...

obraz1b.jpg

obraz1a.jpg

then clip the pic ... and then rotate it horizontally hitting the "H" key. Both shots of profile halves save as separate files for father working on.

split-jpg.360434_1.jpg
split-jpg.360434_1a.jpg

Now having both halves of the profile, go back to the base image and choose from the Edition menu at the top bar , the Merge image / Watermark option. In the opened new window you can find a line with name of pic/watermark you want to add to the base image. Also you can choose where the shot starts merging ( the coordinate X/Y ) and the corners. If you set coordinates at 0 it is enough to set one of corners ( e.g.. left or right ) depending of the pic half. Also please pay your attention to the setting of the transparency of merged images. It should be set at 0.

obraz3.jpg

Having that done , add the left half of the profile firstly and then the right one getting the effect....

split-jpg.360434_2.jpg

In the same way you can make the pic with the top half of the profile.

split-jpg.360434_2a.jpg

BTW.. you may find that one of a profile half can't fit the another one. It is because the profile image isn't simmetrical. In a such case you have to adjust the width of the base pic. If the half of the profile is of 450 pixels in the wdth your pic has to be of 900 ( 450x2). You may set that if you hit the CTRL+R key for changing the pic size.

Last edited:
The way shown above gives more control on the accuracy of setting. But there is a more quicker one. Having both halves of the profile ready to use you have to copy the pic of the right half to the clipboard. Just open the pic and hit the CTRL+C keys. Then open the one with the left half of the profile and go to the Edit menu at the top bar. Choose the "Insert next to" option ( or something like that ) and then "On Right " one from the sub-menu. The right half will be added to the left one making the full pic.. And finally , save a such created image. I hope it can be helpful.

obraz5.jpg

obraz7.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it can be helpful.

Many thanks for the helpful instructions Wurger - you put a lot of work into those posts and it's greatly appreciated. I'll print your instructions off and see if I can perform the same magic. I'll post the result - or problems I had - here, if that's OK.
Cheers! :thumbright:

THX and Good Luck ! :)

Looking forward to the effect. Feel free to ask if there is a trouble.

I gotta be doing something wrong at the watermark point mate. You set X,Y and transparency to 0 and then click OK...?
I keep doing that - but they just rejoin to look like the original scan...?

Sorry Wurger, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. :|

Wurger1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back