Howard Hughes: What was his contribution(s) to WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gjs238

Tech Sergeant
Mar 26, 2009
What contributions did Mr. Hughes make to the War effort?

My understanding is that Hughes produced other company's aircraft, like the Brewster and Goodyear with the Corsair and GM's Eastern A/C with the FM-1 and TBM... But wikipedia doesn't say what aircraft Hughes produced.

I remember one myth that the Mitsubishi Zero was a copy of the Hughs Racer he used to set a world speed record. Nonsense of course, and probably a symptom of the West's refusal to accept that the Japanese could have come up with something so advanced on their own, but occasionally you still hear it.

He wasted a lot of money of doomed aircraft projects like the D-2 long range high speed aircraft and its military derivative, the XA-37 attack bomber and the XF-11 reconnaissance aeroplane, which didn't fly until after the war's end. Not to forget the aforementioned HK-1/HFB-1 flying boat. His company at Culver City, Cali made flexible ammo feed chutes for aircraft, I believe they might have been the first of their kind.

I've flew, and been flown in 2 Hughes aircraft that got into production. The Th-55 , and the OH-6.

He wasted a lot of money of doomed aircraft projects like the D-2 long range high speed aircraft and its military derivative, the XA-37 attack bomber and the XF-11 reconnaissance aeroplane, which didn't fly until after the war's end. Not to forget the aforementioned HK-1/HFB-1 flying boat. His company at Culver City, Cali made flexible ammo feed chutes for aircraft, I believe they might have been the first of their kind.

The ammo chutes were invented by one of his engineers by the name of Lewis. Same guy from the movie about Hughes that worked on his steam car.

If you look at the effects is companies had on the space, weapons, and aeronautical programs after WW2, right into the present day with Satellite communications, his company's involvement in all these programs and more is really incredible. He even has companies involved on the medical field.

I'd imagine he and his companies did quite alot more than initially thought/known of, but like Hienkel, was perhaps semi sidelined on somethings due to not playing the political game his government wanted, specially with him being a largely self made man... wasn't right wing enough for the establisment by perchance.
I think i some areas like others, his works were allowed to pursue certain projects as far as they could go, but then when your developing something undone/not-done before, others will only lambast you for delaying progress as you struggle through many uncountable problems and feck ups.
A miligned man by perchance... he did a lot, but some think maybe not enough - a known failiure is still a failiure, but hopefully stops someone else repeating it ad nausiem...

Yep,and not just his money. He wasted plenty of public money too.

Steve
So did other aero companies of the period.

Howard Hughes was summonsed to a congressional hearing over his wasting of public monies. Was anybody else?

Folks - some "not so true" statements there. First off, Hughes didn't "waste" any US government money, the government does that on its own when they buy a product that they don't need or doesn't meet its design intent. In the case of the H-4, the only thing Hughes had to do was get the thing in the air and he did so in 1947. I believe many contracts awarded during WW2 were "cost plus" where the government agreed to accept schedule slips and cost over runs to a point.
Read about some of the politics of the X-37A...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDkTkpoyfL0

Compare some of the CEOs of major corporations to this guy. He had balls of steel.

I think the only thing we could fault this man for is being a perfectionist and trying to give his "customer" the most advanced and innovative product money could buy at that time.
As far as Hughes' wartime company outside of what was mentioned here…

"During the Second World War, Hughes Aircraft grew from a four-person operation into an 80,000-employee giant. Hughes created Hughes Electronics as a division of Hughes Aircraft, and the new division became the single largest supplier of weapons systems to the U.S. Air Force and Navy. In early 1948, Hughes Aircraft hired two very promising engineers—Simon Ramo and Dean Wooldridge—who had a concept for a cutting edge electronic weapons control system. This system consisted of a type of radar and computer package that helped pilots locate and destroy enemy planes at any time in any weather. Hughes Aircraft subsequently became hugely profitable in the early 1950s."

Hughes Aircraft

Sorry folks, this man did a lot more to help the war effort than what's being portrayed here. We tend to think of people like Hughes as the perpetuators of the so-called "Military Industrial Complex," but what history really reveals is the "MIC" isn't run by people like Hughes or fictional "Tony Stark" (Iron Man), but it's the military procurement system itself, run by thousands of civil servants who build empires, collect an easy paycheck and make decisions that they are not qualified or have the authority to make that really allows tax dollars to be flushed down the toilet.

(Stepping off the soap box)

Wasn't he having little or nothing to do with the direction of the company after they switches to helicopters?

Probably not much as far as engineering goes, but very much in charge till the mid to late 60's.

Read about his pricing of the OH-6 to the Army, it sounds classic Howard Hughes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back