Humbrol Paints - Your views?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I switched to Humbrol last year. My Testors colors were going bad, drying out and or
turning to a gel mass. Lately my Humbrol tins have started acting strange. They are getting
lumpy and gelling like my Model Master paints did. I also had a tin of USAF light green
by Humbrol that I had to empty 1/2 the tin out and add thinner. It was the consistency of
a thick chicken gravy, but didn't look as tasty. Is there a quality issue at their paint factory.
Here is my tin of Matt 140 gull grey. It was starting to lump up and skin over so I added some
Humbrol enamel thinner to get it back in shape.- John
Humbrol 140 Matt.JPG

Humbrol turned to crap several years ago. Most of the tins I bought were bad and the problem was/is you can't tell good stock from bad so I've quit buying altogether. While I still use enamels for detail painting, I'm strictly acrylics

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere, Humbrol paints were 'out sourced' during one of the change periods of ownership. The original (Humber Oil) factory at Hull closed over ten years ago, and was eventually destroyed by fire. Since then, the paints have been made overseas, latterly in China, with very poor quality, and wide inconsistency in both quality and colour shade matching.
Although it's good to learn that production will return to a UK manufacturer, and hopefully we'll see a reliable product again, I've already switched, with some Model Master paints still left, but now using the excellent 'Colourcoats' (formerly WEM) enamels.

Thank you for reminding me. I had a couple White Ensign tins from 6 or 7 years ago for a Naval project. I
just popped the top off the Haze Gray and it covered a dark green Tamiya sprue with one coat. No lumps
or bumps in that jar of gravy! I will look into their color line, I tried acrylic but they don't impress me with their
scanty coverage.- John
WEM COLOURCOATS.JPG

John, Colourcoats are now distributed in the UK by Sovereign Hobbies. The full lists can be seen on their web-site, but ordering direct (in the UK) means a minimum order.
I believe they are available in the USA, and Sovereign can probably supply the details of the distributor / dealers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back