Hurricane Mk IIC A LD116 - 351 (Yug) Sqn RAF – Libya, Hobby Boss 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

djos

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2009
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi to all

Hurricane Mk IIC A LD116 - 351 (Yugoslav) Sqn RAF – Libya, Hobby Boss Hurricane Mk IIC in 1:72

Model was started 2 years ago, first as Night Fighter in VVS service. But as i can not find documentation which will justify existing of MkIIc in Russia in Night Fighter role, model was returned to paint shop, and from black repainted in desert camouflage.

HobbyBoss model with all his mistakes, under scaled wheels,missing pito tube....corrected with spare parts.

Decals for Yugoslav version from LiftHere, painted with Humbrol enamels, weathered with Tamiya weathering pastels.

I hope you like it. All comments (including critics) are welcome :oops:.

Best regards

th_HurMK2ChF.jpg
th_HurMK2CjF.jpg
th_HurMK2CkF.jpg
th_HurMK2ClF.jpg
th_HurMK2CtF.jpg
th_HurMK2CuF.jpg
th_HurMK2CwF.jpg

I tried to imagine model in different representation so i try little experiment with colors, and found that it looks pretty "real" from my point of view.

th_HurMK2CkFBW.jpg

I really like what you've done there. The dusty look is very convincing. Can you describe how the Tamiya pastels work for this? I've never used them. Are they chalky powder? Did you apply them and then put some sort of seal coat on?

The only thing I might have done differently is make the exhaust stacks a bit more brownish-rust coloured. They look a little too black to me but that's very minor and takes nothing away from the job you've done. Great work!

Thanks to all for nice words.

I must admit that i do not know how to handle those pastels after application.
It is very fine powder but applied on mat surface very resistant. Several times i tried to put some mat lacquer over surfaces weathered with pastels but effect just disappeared. So until i find out how to sealed those pastels efficiently, after painting, i use some mat cote, and than apply pastels, brush model to remove everything what will go off anyway later, and what stays on model will stay for a long time (i hope :( ) I hope that my English was enough understandable for this explanation :)

I am sure that there is some better way to do this (including fading panels with airbrush) but i did not try that technique yet.

Again thank you all for nice words,

Best regards

Thanks for the description Djos. It was perfectly clear to me - your English is very good. It's as I suspected. I too use pastels (mind you have not tried Tamiya's) and, like you, apply it as a final application after all coatings have been finished. I have never tried applying a matt coat after pastels as I fear it will ruin the effect although some here have done it with no ill effects apparently.

Nice work, I have found that light coloured pastels seem to disolve and disappear under a coat of gloss or flat most of the time, much better after the matt and can be controlled much better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back