I know where some P-51's and B-17's are buried. My Dad told me the story when I was 8 yrs old, now I'm 62, (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only bombers stationed at Perrin, were A-26's, otherwise nothing else but primary trainers until getting T-37's, T-33's and F-86's, when it became part of the Air Training Command. There were F-102's and TF-102's stationed there from 1962 to 1971. Perrin was closed in 1971 and has operated as a public use airport since then.

The only bombers stationed at Perrin, were A-26's, otherwise nothing else but primary trainers until getting T-37's, T-33's and F-86's, when it became part of the Air Training Command. There were F-102's and TF-102's stationed there from 1962 to 1971. Perrin was closed in 1971 and has operated as a public use airport since then.
bingo, I use to go quail hunting exactly there notice the mound of dirt on google maps,

bingo, I use to go quail hunting exactly there notice the mound of dirt on google maps,
ok, so that happened before the airplane up-grades from b-17's and p-51's, dirt pile runs N-W (at the edge of the field), we parked and quail hunted in that west field. that aria was a bunch Of trees and open fields

Not impossible to have aircraft scrapped out after a tornado.
Carswell AFB had a large number of SAC bombers damaged by a tornado and the same for Tinker AFB, just to name a few.

The damaged beyond repair aircraft have to go somewhere...
Exactly, A interesting reply has me thinking that the loss of the aircraft and them being disposed into a pit conveniently dug at the end of a runway was for a reason and was tied directly to the upgrade of planes at that time. They were switching from Prop To Jets, it was During Viet Nam war,

Shepard AFB at Wichita Falls is the location for Aircraft Maintenance Training, NOT flight training. I went TDY there when I was on active duty. I do not know what the base was named back in the 1950's.
MIflyer,

Not sure when you went through Shepard, but it's been an Undergraduate Pilot Training base for over 40 years. It's known as Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, and has been manned and run by a number of our NATO Allies.

They also teach aircraft maintenance there (I know they teach F-15s, don't know what else).

Cheers,
Biff

MIflyer,

Not sure when you went through Shepard, but it's been an Undergraduate Pilot Training base for over 40 years. It's known as Euro NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, and has been manned and run by a number of our NATO Allies.

They also teach aircraft maintenance there (I know they teach F-15s, don't know what else).

Cheers,
Biff
Dad was stationed there untill "70, then Panama city Fl,, But the airplane thing happened in the early 50's as I was not yet born (1960) '66 this was when I was told about the Tornado and how Dad hung onto a Aircraft Tie down ring embedded in the tarmac,,, as he was almost sucked up while guarding the aircraft hanger, Which happened before Jets were used. While stationed there.

Yes, but it is maintenance training that I was referring to. The idea was that they could have had older airframes there, such as F-51's and B-17's. I went there for altitude chamber training.
I use to plan cross country flights in the Eagle and would land there as I could bribe folks into repairs if required.

All the UPT bases had chambers (we went once in T-37s, then again in T-38s). I did my first chamber at MacDill as a cadet, then Vance as a student. Also did it several times at Tyndall.

When do we get our treasure maps with "X" marks the spot? I don't want fubar57 fubar57 making off with the lot.
the spot is not walker or wheel chair accessible so if you are a fast walker you can beat 'em to it! I'm going to do a little research Monday at the museum located there.

Hmmm…

2C63D69B-521C-4371-9828-1239AF5C65FE.gif

A8FAC9DA-9B99-4D2D-88F0-51333416892C.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back