ICM 1/48 - ICM Spitfire Mk.VIII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff, and I like the idea of mixing the filler with poly cement.

I've found it to be a very usable optimum when regular putty is to brittle/fragile and things like CA or Milliput are to tough to work with. I guess the trick is the mix with poly cement slightly melts the putty into the plastic as well rather then leave it laying on top of it, not unlike glueing two plastic parts together with poly cement, which is also basically melting the pieces together.

Last edited:
Great job. With regards to the short shots. I purchased their Mk.VII version and the right fuselage around the wing root was non-existent. I sent them an email just to inform them and 3 weeks later I received not only the fuselage half but the entire tree as well, free of charge. Very classy company. And once again, the more I read here the more I learn. Thanks for the filling tip.

Geo

@ Crimea_River
I'm still here, so a T-Stoff and C-Stoff like reaction did not occur ;)

@ fubar57
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind as I have another few ICM kits in the stash, among them two spitfires (XVI and VII)

A quick question about the wings of the Spit MK VIII. I've established the Spit VIII had the 'universal' wing (always a challenge to figure this out...at least for me) which also included a couple of fuel tanks in the wings (inboard of the cannons) Are these area's in any way visible on the surface in term of panel lines? I take it there at least are a few fuel tank filler caps of sorts visible (which I could scribe in using a circular scribing template), but I can't seem to find decent pics of the Mk.VIII that give a clear view of the wings surface to establish wether scribing a few extra panel lines to outline these wing fuel tanks are in order.

spitfire-viii-wing.jpg

Maybe these can help....

Drawings source.... the Internet.

Attachments

• spit 8.jpg
    spit 8.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 122
  • wing spit 8 fuel tank.jpg
    wing spit 8 fuel tank.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 138
Cheers Wojtek :thumbleft:

Based on those drawings it looks like a seperate panel/plate of sorts covers the fuel tanks in the wings. I seems adding a few small panel lines is in order. If I had a riveting tool I could have added those as well, but that's still on the list of tools to be added to the inventory sometime.

Anyway thanks again for looking those drawings up

You'r welcome. :)

Jelmer you don't need the tool for engraving panel lines. Just use a thin needle. Also a template made of thin aluminium plate ( these of beer cans can be used ) might help with getting of a correct shape.

Thanks for the extra information. This seems like a very useful approach (gotta watch my fingers though, cause cutting up a beer can like that leads to razor sharp edges), especially for more complicated scribing operations. I think can handle a simple shape like the wing fuel tanks on my Spit with some Dymo tape though. It seems like you use the drillbits to get the rounded edges, but what do you use to cut the straight lines, just a regular hobby knife or some sort of special knife to cut through metal.

I usually use a sharp needle or the back end of a worn out hobby knife for scribing things, but depending on the situation I run a Tamiya scriber through the panel line as well sometimes

Last edited:
For cutting out inside of the hatch, going along straight lines, I have used a metal ruler and an old scalpel blade. The one wasn't blunted fully because I had been using it for cutting cardboard. To be honest it is enough to notch the aluminium plate and break through along lanced lines.. Then I used jeweller's files to make them more accurate.

Try to explain the logic behind this to she-who-controls-everything ;) "...I need more beer for my hobby"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back