ICM 1/48 - ICM Spitfire Mk.VIII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Far as I'm aware, the MkVIII could carry all the tanks. The one with the kit is the large ferry tank, not normally used on standard ops.

Photo evidence:

spitfire-site-mkviii-australia-792956.jpg

And a good view of the attachment points:

spitfire_viii_15_of_31.jpg

thanks a lot for the pics Andy. In addition the pic also shows the Vokes Aero-Vee intake unit provided by the ICM kit is rather small. Going by the pic it's a rather bulky contraption. Using a slightly sanded down Airfix MK.IX (larger)intake from the spares box wouldn't hurt either me thinks

Last edited:
jjp_nl: it prolly makes into the most accurate Mk.IX in this scale,...
Great thread Jelmer. I've got an ICM kit for the Bf109F-4/B so I wonder how well it will build? Given the accuracy you mention of this kit, though, I'm tempted to get this ICM kit too. Well done so far. Looking forward to next post.

The ICM Bf109F kits build well, but need some work around the engine cowling. See my build in the FW and Messerschmitt GB.

Last edited:
Due to the typical late-year-crunch-time at work not a whole lot of modelling has been happeling the last few days, but I did managed to do a few small things so here a few pics taking with my IPhone (sorry for the pink hue to it, it seems the IPhone can't handle these artificial lighting around my workbench very well).

Most notable, I glued the appropriate wingstips for the MK.VIII in place. A little trimming of the joins assured a very decent fit indeed. There's some filling/sanding (and prolly scribing to restore a few panel lines) yet to be done in the area, but there's no ridges along these two joins. In addition some minor sinkmarks and such have been taken care of in various spots. Look carefully and you'll notice a sanded down bead of Mr.Surfacer here and there. I've also started trimming down the ailerons to the smaller sized ones that were fitted to the MK.VIII.

In accordance with Terry's suggestion to use the Hasegawa prop blades I've been digging up some more bits and pieces from my failed Hasegawa Spit of two year ago. The last two pics show the entire Hasegawa prop blades/spinner assembly taped together loosely on the nose of the ICM kit. After looking at MK.VIII diagrams and drawings for some more I'm inclinded to think I could use the entire Hasegawa prop/spinner assembly. The spinner seems a lot better to shape compared to the ICM parts (which seem rather skinny, especially the spinner) The Hasegawa parts need only minor trimming to fit the ICM fuselage. In my opinion this aids the overall profile/shape quite a bit and gives it a more brutal/threatening look. What do the Spitfire experts think?

I hope to keep working on it, time permitting, the coming week or so, but it won't be until next thursday that I'll be having a few extra days off until Jan. 2nd and hopefully be able to make some serious headway with this one.

a0c44a45.jpg

a66a0249.jpg

9c045b64.jpg

9acf0355.jpg

0f39090c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me too. I didn't have another kit to fall back on when I did my Mk IX and ended up using an Ultracast resin spinner and prop which looked really nice.

Attachments

• 101231%20Prop.jpg
    101231%20Prop.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 106
I got lucky with the remains of that Hasegawa kit indeed indeed Andy :) Your resin replacement also looks a lot less skinnier then the ICM kit part, so I'm gonna use the entire Hasegawa prop assembly. Gotta remember the resin replacement though as I have two more ICM spits in the stash (MK.XVI and MK.VII) which might also need some of those resin replacements. I think I've also seen a lower nose resin replacement with either a large or small intake is available here and there.

Thanks guys! Sofar this kit has been nowhere near the difficult project I expected it to be even though certain areas certainly need their share of extra attention. I'm certainly looking forward to building some more ICM Spits as I have a few more interesting a/c in mind I would like to have in the display case.

The hasegawa prop/spinner assembly it will be BTW :)

Another minor update on the MK.VIII, not the most interesting one, but it's also part of the process. There's some minor filling/sanding work to be done on a few spots. Pic 1 shows the areas on the upper surfaces of the model where a bead of putty was applied. This being the wing tips joins, the back end of the upper cowling and a little area near the spinner.
0110c4ea.jpg

Same goes for the lower surfaces. Again the wing tip joins and the back end of the lower wing to fuselage join. I used car body putty mixed with regular poly cement (revell/humbrol take your pick) tube glue this time. The car body putty can be sanded into a very smooth surface and dries/cures nice and fast. Mixed/thinned with regular poly-cement it adheres quite a bit better 'cause 'as-is' the car body putty can be quite a little brittle brittle and mixed with poly cement becomes MUCH stronger/harder.
b3499eb2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back